Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

EQUIPMENT & MANPOWER PLANNING FOR PIPELINE CONSTRUCTN

6 replies [Last post]
SANJEEV KOUL
User offline. Last seen 16 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
WE HAVE TO EXECUTE A 56 INCH DIA ONSHORE U/G GAS PIPELINE 690 KM LONG.WE HAVE PREPARED AN EPC MASTERSHEDULE FOR THIS PROJECT.WE HAVE A TOTAL DURATION OF 42 MONTHS FOR THIS EPC WORK.WE ARE PLANNING TO GET THE WORK OF CONSTRUCTION EXECUTED THROUGH 2 CONSTRUCTION SUBCONTRACTORS FOR PIPELINE CONSTRUCTION AND SEPARATE SUBCONTRACTS FOR TERMINAL CONSTRUCTION.

THE CONSTRUCTION SCHEDULE FOR THE PIPELINE IS AS UNDER ;-

ACTIVITY DESCRIPTION

Mobilization of manpower ,
machinery etc 07/12/09 to 04/02/10

ROW survey and marking ,
Clearing and ROW grading 06/01/10 to 18/02/11

Trenching 05/02/10 to 14/06/11

Stringing 19/02/10 to 08/08/11

Bending 26/02/10 to 22/08/11

Welding O5/03/10 to 17/09/11

X- ray / NDT ( above ground) 12/03/10 to 25/09/11
, Joint Repair ,
Joint Coating

Trench bottom padding ,
Lowering, top padding ,
backfilling 19/03/10 to 09/10/11

Tie - in - joints and
mainline valaves, welding,
X-ray and repair , joint
coating 31/03/10 to 23/10/11

Tie - in - Joint top
padding and backfilling 14/04/10 to 06/11/11

Hydrotesting 14/07/10 to 06/12/11

Restoration of ROW 12/09/10 to 17/12/11

NOW BASED ON THE ABOVE CONSTRUCTION SCHEDULE , THE EQUIPMENT AND MANPWER PLANNING PLANNING ie THE PLANNING FOR RESOURCE ASSIGNMENT IS TO BE DONE FOR THE ABOVE PIPELINE SCHEDULE.

FIRSTLY FOR THE PURPOSE OF EXECUTION THE PIPELINE IS TO BE DIVIDED INTO SECTIONS OF APPROPRIATE LENGTHS KNOWN AS SPREADS.I REQUEST YOUR ASSISTANCE IN FIRSTLY FIXING THE PROPER LENGTH , NUMBER AND ARRANGEMENT OF SPREADS ALONG THE PIPELINE.I HAVE ALSO TO LOGICALLY PRESENT TO MY MANAGEMENT THE JUSTIFICATION (PREFERABLY CALCULATION TOO - IF APPLICABLE) FOR FIXING THIS SPREAD LENGTH.

THEREAFTER THE RECOMMENDED DISTRIBUTION OF EQUIPMENT FOR EACH SPREAD (WITH RATINGS ie TONNAGE ETC OF THE EQUIPMENT) IE NO DOZERS , GRADERS , EXCAVATORS / POCLAIN ,ROCK - BREAKERS WITH HYDRAULICALLY OPERATED CHISELS,PIPE BENDING MACHINES PIPELAYERS/SIDEBOOMS , ETC IS REQUIRED TO BE PROVIDED.THIS DISTRIBUTION OF EQUIPMENT HAS TO BE LOGICALLY WORKED OUT AND IS TO BE BASED ON RECOMMENDED EQUIPMENT RATING , STANDARD MACHINEHOUR NORMS , AND TOTAL ESTIMATED QUANTUM OF WORK eg EARTHWORK / GRADING AREA ETC.

LIKEWISE RECOMMENDED DISTRIBUTION OF MANPOWER , WELDERS , RIGGERS , INSULATORS , ETC IS TO BE WORKED OUT BASED ON ESTIMATED QUANTITY OF WELDING LENGTH AND WELD VOLUME ETC AND STANDARD MANHOUR NORMS FOR PIPELINE WELDING ETC.

IT IS ALSO REQUIRED TO WORK OUT THE RATING AND DISTRIBUTION OF WELDING MACHINES FOR THE SPREADS SO CONSIDERED.

ALL THE MANPOWER AND EQUIPMENT PLANNING ABOVE IS TO BE PRODUCED IN A SYSTEMMATIC ,TRACEABLE AND VERIFYABLE MANNER.

ANY HELP FROM PEOPLE EXPERIENCED IN THIS FIELD SHALL BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED. ESPACIALLY I REQUEST HELP FOR FIXING OF SPREAD LENGTHS ,NO OF SPREADS, RECOMMEN
-DATION FOR RATING OF EQUIPMENT , MACHINEHOUR NORMS FOR EQPT WITH SPECIFIC RATING AND MANHOUR NORMS ESP FOR WELDERS.

IN ABSENCE OF DETAILS REGARDING HARD ROCK / ROCK STRATA AND SLOPE (IE TERRAIN)THE SAME CAN BE SUITABLY ASSUMED AT PRESENT AND THE ASSUMPTION SO MADE HAS TO BE CLEARLY MENTIONED.THE SAME CAN ME MODIFIED AT A LATER STAGE AS MORE AND ACTUAL DETAILS COME WITH SOIL INVESTIGATION AND TOPOGRAPHIC SURVEY.

Replies

SANJEEV KOUL
User offline. Last seen 16 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Mr Basheer !
Thanks for your vauable and specific answer to my querry.The pipe dia is 56 inch.Please let me know of what other inputs u need for resource planning.I have already mentioned pipe dia in my post.42 months duration for pipeline includes duration for engineering , procurement and construction ,testing ,commissioning complete.Time slots for various construction activities are given in my post/querry and these time slots are based on overall masterschedule for the pipeline.I eagerly look forward to hearing from you so that i can make a more accurate resource planning for the project.
Refards
Sanjeev
Mohamed Basheer
User offline. Last seen 5 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Tnaxs Mr.raviraj for the Input.
Mr.Sanjeev, See the following information is useful.

Your Project Scope is 690Km Pipeline - What dia? Say 600-1000 Dia, To be done in 42 months. Keeping 2 months for Commissioning and 20% time for Testing , Repair Retest etc you endup with 960 days. So keeping unit length of pipe as 12m You need to install 60 Peices of pipe per day and to excavate 718m of trench may be around 5000 cum of soil which may require 38-40 Excavators. If the pipe is of 1m dia then each joint root+ fill + cover weld will take 1 welderday so you need 60 welders working.

If you keep an unit of 10welders + 7 Excavators + 3 Cranes then the spread length comes to 120 m/ day per unit.

You may need 10 such units working.

The information you have given is not sufficient to make exact resourcing.
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
your project is huge, and it is an EPC contract to be done in 42 months? You might need a hell of Planners?...

by the way, i suppose 42 months is just a guess as there’s no Engineering yet, and you still don’t know the terrain. Planning at this stage is still a guess until you got Engineering data.
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Sanjeev,

I had done 125 km of pipeline project but for pre-insulated GRP pipes.

I had finalized the SPREAD LENGTHS based on the hydrotesting lengths. Please check the work method statement / Quality Control Documents for the same.

Please note that in pipeline construction, you need to do the hydrotest with fresh /potable water. Wastage will lead to heavy cost. Generally, the hydrotest lengths are in kilometers.

For optimum utilisation of manpower and machinary and to finish the project on time, you can split the total line into say 6 or 8 CREWS and each crew will be given a sequence of spreads.

All the crew works can go simultaneously.

Productivity rates for delivery of pipes / excavation / bending / testing to be decided in the initial stages of the project before starting the P3 program itself. e.g.if a crew has 80 km of stretch and daily delivery of pipes is 800m then total days required for delivery of pipes will be 100 days. Consider a cycle time of say 45 days between laying and hydrotesting completion of pipes for a spread. You can ask ur construction manager for this cycle time.
e.g. If the pipe delivery finish date is 01/09/07 and cycle time is 60 calender days, then hydrotesting will finish on 31/10/07

if u need more help, please let me know.

Cheers,

Raviraj A Bhedase
ALKA REVO
User offline. Last seen 10 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
Sanjeev,
I have done some planning for refinery pipeline, but that was a detail plan. For your level of planning you need a standard and a professional estimator. You will have to find out if the pipeline has been designed and consult that document too.
Ta
ALKA
Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
Sanjeev,

I have never planned a pipeline before but my view is....

The ’spread’ length will depend on many things, such as the length of pipe being delivered, the design of the pipeline and the requirements within the pipe specification.

The distribution of manpower will depend upon many things also, such as the availabilty of resource, the weld specification for the pipework and the type of testing required.

Even though you are currently presuming uniform rock strata, I imagine over 690k the terrain will change quite a lot also and so access for machinery/resource (thus working times) will not be uniform.

I recommend you ask an estimator or cost engineer in your company for assistance.