Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Dismantling Mahour - refinary plants

2 replies [Last post]
RAD D
User offline. Last seen 17 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Hey Guys...

anybody can help, I need a reference guide for estimating a manhour for dismatling work like Equipment / Piping (large Bore) / Instrument / Steel Structure / Instrument

I was involved in a re-engineering project which the company dismantle the whole unit of methanol plant and transfer to different location....

hope you guys have some idea to give...i really appreciate..

Replies

Bernard Ertl
User offline. Last seen 9 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
We have a tool for developing a conceptual cost estimate for the construction of a new methanol plant based upon John Page’s work, but it does not estimate manhours nor demolition work.

I know a consultant in Louisiana who has a lot of experience in this area (demo & reconstruction of plants). PM me if you would like his contact info.

Bernard Ertl
InterPlan Systems
Nigel Hussey
User offline. Last seen 17 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Generaly speaking dismantling of equipment, pipes and similar; should be quicker than erecting. Therefore apply a factor like 0.75 to your erecting times depending on complexity.
In my experience the timing usually works out to be the same and in some cases longer once you factor in the "buggeration factor’s" of cutting pipes in close proximity to others you do not want to remove, steaming out of pipes that need to be removed (making safe), undoing bolts that do not want to come loose, obtaining permits, etc.

I actually worked on a plant a few years ago that was dismantled and reassembled eslewhere and after close examination of the equipment and especially the pipework most of it had to be replaced due to unexpected corrossion that had taken place. Redesign of the new plant made the balance of the piping that could be resused un-reusable anyway without cutting and rewelding to the new design.

Cheers.
P.S. Not very helpful I know but though I would contribute anyway.