Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 R8.1 "Printer Selected is Invalid"

7 replies [Last post]
Derek Keller
User offline. Last seen 11 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have recently installed P6 onto my work computer and every time I try and go to Page Setup or Print Preview or Print a message box appears and says "Printer Selected is Invalid."  I am able to print papers from excel and word and the internet with no issues, so i do not believe it is something IT related.  It simply will not let me do anything involving printing.  Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,

Derek Keller

Replies

Shaikh Shadab
User offline. Last seen 6 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

Dear All,

to accept these action

just change your default printer from netwrok section of your PC and also It is availble in Hardware Tool of your PC 

Just make a default by which printer is currently active with your same IP address of your internet network or else you can check first in excel by pres Ctrl P, you can see the all active printer then after use above trick 

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers

Thanks And Regards 

Shadab Shaikh

UAE

yahya atef
User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

i have a problem with (setup page) after clicking on buttom (setup page) the program is closed automatically please if anyone have a solution for this problem 

thanks

untitled.jpg

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

If the printer shows in Windows as installed, but does not appear in P6, and you are launching the program using the menu option 'Run as Administrator':

Log in as the local NT Administrator, uninstall the printer and re-install it under the local NT Administrator account.

Sabaapathy Selvam...
User offline. Last seen 1 day 20 hours ago. Offline

Hi guys,

Similarly I have the same problem but it shows " there is no default printer is selected" . 

Is it primavera issue or windows 7 issue ,Bcos remaining all my excel ,word are getting print 

Only primavera is having this issue . 

Kindly anyone guide ,it's urgent.

Arend Woltjer
User offline. Last seen 8 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Derek,

I found these options on the internet:

Set the ORACLE_HOME environment variable.

Right click on the "My Computer" icon.
Click "Properties" from the context menu.
Click "Advanced system settings" link
Click on the "Environment variables" button in the "Advanced" tab of the "System Properties" window.
Click on the "New" button under system varibles. It will open a new system variable window.
Enter Variable Name as: ORACLE_HOME
Enter Variable Value as: C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server

Replace the variable name with the location to your oracle installation if it varies from the example provided.

Click on 'OK'

Another one:

It turns out that despite the fact that my IT help desk granted me full administrator status and privileges, they failed to tell me (or did not know) that PowerBroker for Windows Desktops was also installed on my system. I do not believe the help desk staff even knew this software was in place. PowerBroker is software that allows network administrators to remove certain administrator rights without removing a user's administrator status. When the software was reconfigured, the Printer Selected Is Not Valid problem went away and everything is now working.

The presence of this software is not obvious. You may need your help desk to determine if you have this software or something like it installed. Unfortunately, the help desk people I spoke to were unaware of this software.

The Oracle thing again:

The Oracle_Home environment variable needs to be added. To add it, do the following:

1.Right click the “My Computer” icon.
2.Choose “Properties” from the context menu.
3.Click the “Advanced system settings” link and it will display the “System Properties” window.
4.Click on the environment variables button in the “Advanced” tab of the "System Properties” window.
5.Click on the “New” button under system variables. It will launch a new System variables window:
Enter Variable Name as ORACLE_HOME.
Variable Value as C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server.
Click on Ok.
6. Now launch the PM.exe and check the issue reported.

And the last option:

http://zpay.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?2310-Printer-selected-is-not-valid

I hope your solution is amongst these.

Regards,

Arend

Derek Keller
User offline. Last seen 11 years 41 weeks ago. Offline

Anything under the file menu that is related to printing or page setup is when the invalid message appears.  I am currently using Windows 7.

Arend Woltjer
User offline. Last seen 8 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Derek,

this is a difficult one...

Did you try:

1. printer setup and try to select another printer?

Maybe installing the 'free pdf creator' will give you a clue why printing does not work.

Regards,

Arend