Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Strange problem

2 replies [Last post]
Susan Young
User offline. Last seen 11 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

I have a strange problem in P6 related to rebaselining the schedule using the current actual status as basis.

Following example illustrates the problem:

At data date planned percent complete for BL rev 0 = 50%, and actual percent complete = 30%.

While rebaselining, we decided to keep the BL 0 finish date, but would like to have P6 to re-distribute the remaining 70% of budgeted cost on the remaining 50% of the duration !

I would expect to see the new BL rev 1 with Schedule % (planned percent) complete = 30%, But P6 keeps displaying Sch % to be 50% because it still uses the duration % as basis !!

Anybody has had similar experience & has a possible workaround ?

Thanks

Sue

Replies

Susan Young
User offline. Last seen 11 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Andrew,

Somehow I can't view the snapshots you have attached. Could you please email me the solution at sussaa2001@hotmail.com

Thanks

Sue

Andrew Podolny
User offline. Last seen 44 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Hi Susan.

That's how Primavera Calculates Scheduled Percent completion to date:

The Schedule % Complete specifies how much of the activity’s original duration
has been completed so far based on the baseline dates.
PV = BAC * Schedule % Complete

You can slightly shape the distribution using the resource loading curves but if you need the precise % on certain date - the only way I used is Future Buckets. Basically you have to manually distribute the units across timeframe:

screen01.jpg

Then select to use future periods under WBS

screen02.jpg

Now it's ready - you can attach it as new baseline. Here is my example:

screen03.jpg

Hope it was helpful.

Regards,

Andrew