Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Roles vs Resources

2 replies [Last post]
Ruel Camaquin
User offline. Last seen 3 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Guys,

Can you define what exactly is the difference (in function)of ROLES and RESOURCES in P6, i have been doing test project for resourcing but i always ended up confused with the two. And the book from Paul Harris defines both but do nor explains the main function of each.

Thanks in advance to all respondents.

Ruel

Replies

Ali Farhat
User offline. Last seen 13 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Ruel,
A role is a job or function
A resource is te "person" who performs the role
Example of roles: engineer, surpervisor,etc...
for each resource you assign the roles hhe can play. a reosurce can play more than one role to a certain proficiency. each role can be played by various resources. Assign roles to your activities early in the project when you have not determeined which resource is to be used. Later on, you can replace roles with the resources.
Regards,
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 3 hours 17 min ago. Offline
Ruel,
I already explain this in other thread. Anyway Roles is normally used for initial planning if resources are not yet available and when doing the detail planning then roles will be replaced by the detail resources. Role cannot be level.