Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Import option - Insert new & keep existing

3 replies [Last post]
Rajeev Nelliyodan
User offline. Last seen 8 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can anybody explain the difference between "Insert New" & keep Existing in the import option.

Following is the explanation in help.

Keep Existing: Retains data in the existing project and does not overwrite them with the updated data; adds new data if the record does not exist.

Insert New: Retains data in the existing project and adds any new data items.

To me both are the same as per the explanation nin the help.

I would like to know if anybody can crack the code.

thanks,

Rajeev

Replies

Bill McMichael
User offline. Last seen 12 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
"Insert New" does retain the existing item (in my example FLD ENG and all if its attributes). In other words, the item is not updated. And it also inserts a new item (FLD ENG-1).
Saying it will create duplicate for items with the same name is another way to say this.

I think it most cases you will want to keep the default options ("update existing" for project data and "keep existing" for global data).
Rajeev Nelliyodan
User offline. Last seen 8 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Does that mean that the info in the help is wrong,bill you are saying that the "Insert New" will create duplicates for existing,while the help states retains existing and insert new ???

thanks,

Rajeev
Bill McMichael
User offline. Last seen 12 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
With "Keep existing", the existing item’s information is retained if it exists in the database. With "Insert New", a new item is always added to the database regardless if there is a match on the name. If there is not a match it will always add the item for both options.

For example, let’s say your database has a resource named "FLD ENG" with price of $10.

And the XER file also has resource named "FLD ENG" with price of $20.

If you "Keep Existing" for Resources when you import the XER, "FLD ENG" will keep its price of $10 in the database. When there is a conflict, the database wins.

If you chose "Insert New" for Resources, it would add a new resource called "FLD ENG-1" with price of $20 and you would still have "FLD ENG" with price of $10.

Hope this helps.