Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Float in program.. Whom does it belong to?

9 replies [Last post]
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Hi mates,

Does anybody has any write-up or papers on the "OWNER OF CONSUMPTION OF FLOAT".

Plz guide me on who can consume this float and why others cannot or is it on first come first serve basis.

My project Consultant is considering late finish dates for the dates allocated for "Approval of ....items by Customer" and because of which there might be a possibility wherein the resources may become idle. Program is not resource loaded completly and its very diifcult from P3 program to prove that resources may become idle if client consumes the float availbale

Hope I am clear.

Cheers,

Raviraj

Replies

Pranab Kumar Deb
User offline. Last seen 2 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Leslie ,
I wanted to know what it means if we say "however the lack of Notice would cause such a claim to be Time Barred under the terms of the Contract" , and specially the word "time barred"
regards
deb
Alan Leslie
User offline. Last seen 2 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Recovery of culpable delay is the mitigation measures adopted by a contractor to redress a delay for which they were responsible. For example if a contractor fails to put in place the proper safety procedures and the site safety officer suspends their works for a day it is the contractors liability. If the contractor then works the first ’non work day’ to recover the situation it would be regarded as recovering culpable delay. The protocol as far as I can recall addresses culpability but sets no guidance on recovery of culpability. My personal view is that any mitigating measures undertaken by the contractor will address their own delay culpability and then delays for which the client is culpable.
A D
Thanks a lot Alan,

Just one more doubt.

Will you please clarify me what somebody understands by the term "RECOVERY OF CULPABLE DELAY". Does SCL protocol says anything about that?

Cheers,

Raviraj
Alan Leslie
The programme submitted by you is your notification of intent. In my opinion from the programme you submit, the float determined should only be available at the dates dictated by the programme. In other words, if the float is used by the client before it occurs in the presented programme it will move your activities and as such is a change to your intent and any costs associated with changing your intent will be the clients responsibility. I have encountered similar situations. The advice is to set the alternatives before the client and allow them to make the decision. When the decision is made ensure that it is provided to you as a formal instruction. You should also advise that errosion of float increases the risk of late delivery and his actions will be considered should the programme overrun. Unfortunately I cannot provide the SCL protocol as it is copyright protected.
A D
Thanks a lot Alan,

But, in that case shall the float be calculated on the late start or late finish? Even though the float will remain same, but dates for the usage of that float will change as per LF/EF.

In my case, client tends to use late finish dates for that particular approval activity rather than EF dates.

So, actually he is consuming the float for his activities and we have scheduled our resources as per early start/early finish basis.

Have u encountered any this type of problem before. What you would advice in this scenario?

Please if you can forward the protocol paper, i will be delighted. (e-mail me at - raviraj.bhedase@khe.ae)

Thanks,

Raviraj A Bhedase
Alan Leslie
The ownership of float is one of the most contentious areas of planning and scheduling. The Society of construction Law in the UK has a protocol paper which has provided guidance in the matter. You should in the first instance consult the contract particulars as there may be reference to float ownership. However the problem you face is not the errosion of float but periods of downtime for your workforce resulting from delay in approval of documentation. Should you encounter this I suggest you immediately formally inform your client that, as a direct result of the delay to document approval, it will be necessary demobilise the idle workforce. Advise the client that such actions will result in additional remobilisation costs and there is no guarantee the same workforce will be available resulting in additional site induction courses complete with the productivity losses experienced during the period of familiarisation with the works. Offer to retain the present workforce at the clients expense.
Karim Mounir
User offline. Last seen 9 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
A D
Thanks Ashraf,

In this case, we are waiting for approval of Building Maintenance Units (BMUs). Client is taking its time for approval and saying that he will approve the same as per the latest finish dates, as it is not affecting the projec schedule and will consume the availbale float.

I have allocated 14 days for approval as per the discussin we had in the initial co-ordination meetings prior to start of the project.

Now, in this case consultant seems to be very much correct by saying that he can consume this float and still the approval activity will not be on a critical path.

But, the CONTRACTOR (We) are definitely going to suffer at the end, as my tower cranes are not allocated during that phase of project in this particular area.

Hope I m clear this time. Please advise.

Thanks,

Raviraj
Ashraf Jahangeer
User offline. Last seen 8 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ravi,

It is a bit strange that the Consultant is referring the schedule that too the late dates for approval of drawings.

You should refer to the Contract, Project Administration and Co-ordination procedure in my experience it is always clearly stated how much days is allowed for the review/approval. Usually the first review is 2 to 3 weeks and the 2nd review is one to two weeks.

As normally the number of documents are huge you should try to monitor the engineering through document control database generated Engineering Reports rather than relying heavily on the P3.

Regards,

Ashraf