Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3 Expert opinion awaited- priority please

10 replies [Last post]
Jimmy robert
User offline. Last seen 18 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
A schedule of 2000 activities was prepared.

It was properly linked

After schedule, following message has been found.

"Loop(s) detected - schedule run terminated"

why this message come if schedule is properly linked?

where is the fault?

Please advise. what the corrective mearuse which I make so that i run this schedule (F9) - its urgent.

Replies

Vishwas Bindigana...
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
Jimmy,

As a preventive measure, I’d suggest you to press ’F9’ every time you add or delete an activity and its respective predecessor or successor. Then you will not have any probs in scheduling finally.

As a corrective measure, follow this -
’Tools’-’Schedule’-’Schedule Now’-’View on Screen’-’OK’.

You’ll get detailed report of all your open-ended and activities, loops and their links.

Rgds.
Raj Maurya
User offline. Last seen 2 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Print the loop report as Hermie explained and check the relationship of those activities showing loop in the report. It might be possible you have to remove some link to avoid loop formation.It is one of the main princple of network that there should not be any loop in logic, so I guess every planning software must check the loop while scheduling.
One easy method to find loop is that you just filter those activity which are crreating filter and see in logic diagram there you can identify easily which link you have to remove.
Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
Jimmy

Send me your schedule if possible, i will correct it . This is not a big issue.
Hermie LaO
User offline. Last seen 17 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Yes, I am well. Just happy to assist a fellow planner.
Philip Jonker
User offline. Last seen 15 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks for the elaboration Hermie, are you well?
Hermie LaO
User offline. Last seen 17 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Jimmy,

It’s against my principles since I work for Welcom Software(Open Plan) but what the heck!! heheheh

Instead of pressing F9 to schedule use the menu Tools / Schedule / Schedule now / select View on Screen / OK

This will bringout Primavera look which gives you a report of where the loop is coming from!!!

Enjoy!!
Philip Jonker
Hi Joshi,

This has nothing to do with the number of activities, it is simply a logic error.
Philip Jonker
The error is that somewhere in the programme there is activities that is linked so that a prdecessor is that same as a successor. It could two activities, or any number.
The easiest way to find the problem is to run a time schedule, via the menu, ie tools/schedule, and löök a the report. The report will tell you where the error in the lögic, ie loop, is. By breaking the incorrect link in your logic, you will correct the problem.
Joshi Niraj
User offline. Last seen 18 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Is there any special check/tips to find where is error in linkage coz as per Jimmy the schedule is too long

If yes, plz intimate us so that each one can get benefit of it.

thanks
Peter Hibberd
User offline. Last seen 18 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Jimmy

There is obviously an error in the links which create the loop. Be careful when assigning FF SS or SF links in conjunction with other logic. I have never come across a time with P3 when it stated an error and none was present - it is sometimes difficult to find, but it is there.