Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Durations in P3

4 replies [Last post]
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can anyone help please !! I have just started using P3 and could do with a little advice. I have various activities that happen in series being performed by one resource, the problem is the duration are in fractions of hours.. So on the original duration column I am putting in an hour as it will not accept fractions and for the resource I am putting the fraction as the units per hr and budgeted quantity, I have tried putting 60 units per hour and budgeted quantity as a fraction but it will not accept it.

Can anyone tell me the best way to display this information.

Replies

Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
We also have found the need to develop and maintain schedules with durations less than an hour. This is usually the required setup for Aircraft MRO (maintenance, repair and overhaul).

For this, we use P3e since P3 is not capable of handling durations by the minute. Try looking into P3e.

Jorge
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 days ago. Offline
I have an occasion a couple of years ago to schedule resource requirements in minutes and produce histograms on a 5 minute time interval. This was to simulate the ground crew resource requirement at 4 international airports for a weeks of domestic and international aircraft arrivals and departures. Unfortunately the smallest time unit in P3 (and SureTrak) is 1 hour and the requirement to schedule in minutes is difficult to model.

In this instance I used MicroPlanner Expert due to its excellent resource functionalities. Microsoft Project will handle minutes but its functionality did not suit the reporting requirements.

There are many other good products available that schedule in minutes and if the requirement to schedule in minutes is a prerequisite, and it sometimes is, then I strongly advise you to find another product.

You may consider upgrading to one of the P3e products which allow scheduling in decimal hours and/or minutes, you may find this a cost effective and satisfactory solution.

Regards

Paul E Harris
www.eh.com.au
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 2 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Ronald,
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, I was trying to create activities in minutes and then adding a hammock over the days work and having it as a resource driving plan, then if it was starting to run late I could add another resource, I am not worried if it runs late by minutes but on a general day basis. I would just schedule it by days work, but they want to see every single activity on the schedule.

Thanks again for your earlier help
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
You question implies that are interested in a theoretical point of perfection.

Are you trying to create a simulation or a schedule? They are not the same thing. I have never found tracking real work in fractions of hours to be a useable tool.

Are you prepared to status your schedule in fractions of an hour? To do this, you will need to status every activity at the same time, say every 10 minutes. Else wise, how are you going to know that Activity X finished three minutes late and Activity Y started two minutes early?

Once you inventory every active activity, enter the status, recalculate the critical path, and print the report, your information will be out of date. Even if it is not, it will be a moot point before you can call a meeting of the responsible parties, decide a corrective action, and implement it.

This is not the Sims. A schedule should be created and maintained for a purpose other than giving it life. For a vast majority of real projects, Hourly schedules are of dubious use. We do not not live in a world where Minutely schedules are of any practical use.

Focus on the objective. That will tell you the type of tools that you need.