Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

UN/CEFACT XML schema format, a software-neutral format, is it for real?

2 replies [Last post]
Rafael Davila
User is online Online

Once again a new standard have been adopted by the US Federal Government designed to exchange schedule and cost data in a software-neutral format. This is an important feature for customers who work with US Department of Defense and other US government agencies because as of June 2012 they are required to submit their schedules in the UN/CEFACT XML schema format.

http://www.slideserve.com/liam/cost-and-schedule-standard
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E29618_01/English/User_Guides/PlayerPackage/da...

COMPLIANT PRODUCTS AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC

1. Primavera (Oracle) - Primavera P6 R3
  2. Deltek - Winsight 6.4
  3. Deltek – MPM Deltek – Cobra
  4. Primavera (Oracle) - Pertmaster 8.2
  5. Metier – Worklenz 5.8
  6. Steelray – Project Viewer
  7. Microsoft - Project Dekker - PMIS

OTHERS COMPLIANT OR IN DEVELOPMENT

1. CA - Clarity
  2. ARES - Prism
  3. Artemis - Views 8.3
  4. Safran - Project
  5. QuantumPM 2Q
  6. Deltek – Open Plan

http://mosaicprojects.wordpress.com/2013/02/09/the-uncefact-format-for-p...

http://www.projectacumen.com/news-item/acumen-launches-un-cefact-file-co...

I wonder if the requirement will also be applied to production contracts such as construction contracts and not only to development contracts such as weapons development.

Although it looks like finally the US Federal Government is to play fair game regarding the use of software-neutral data exchange I wonder if it is going to be enforced across the board at all agencies or if it is once again "words written in the air" as for decades there have been the Standard Data Exchange Format (SDEF) for the same purpose but was never enforced by most Government Agencies except for the USACE.

I cannot understand how it is possible that for so many decades so many software vendors were left out in favor of a single vendor by so many government agencies. It is not only a monopolistic practice but also there is reason to suspect there was some illegal kickbacks that must be investigated. The people involved in such practice should be held accountable for criminal as well as for civil damages if there was wrongdoing. There is no excuse for top management and board of directors not to know about it, there is no excuse for such negligence in the performance of their obligations.

Many of us do not like the idea of our government practice of Crony capitalism at all levels, Federal/State/Municipal levels.

Crony capitalism is a term describing an economy in which success in business depends on close relationships between business people and government officials. It may be exhibited by favoritism in the distribution of legal permits, government grants, special tax breaks, or other forms of dirigisme.[1] Crony capitalism is believed to arise when political cronyism spills over into the business world; self-serving friendships and family ties between businessmen and the government influence the economy and society to the extent that it corrupts public-serving economic and political ideals.

For this reason I would like to hear comments from Federal Government Contractors as well as State Government Contractors doing work on jobs that receive federal funds such as infrastructure and transportation jobs.

• Do you believe the UN/CEFACT XML schema format is for real?
  • Have any of you worked under such new requirement?
  • Have any of you doing government work on US contracts awarded after June 2012 being requires to use Brand Name software specifications? Was it a production contract such as construction contract or a development contract such as weapons development?

Replies

Rafael Davila
User is online Online

Jenn,

Thanks for the clarification. I hope Asta and Spider will soon join the list as I am an advocate of competition and free enterprise. The more software developers join the more the probabilities of success of this standard.

I wonder if there is a certification requirement, but as long as it is impartial I would not object to it, on the contrary.

I believe contractors as well as owners have a right to manage their portfolios in a way it does not interfere with the rights of the other party and such a standard can help.

Perhaps the standard shall include a set of common fields plus a set particular to each software so that all parties keep on record all source data. This because no way a standard will provide same output from different software. In this way the agencies can have their own software and a copy of the submitting software or its viewer when available.

Best Regards,

Rafael

Jenn Weber
User offline. Last seen 10 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Rafael - 

Great post - I can't help answer your questions but I wanted to point out that Acumen Fuse is also compliant with the UN/CEFACT XML schema.  I see you listed a link with info on our free web-based file converter for UN/CEFACT as well but didn't explain what it was.   

Visit: http://www.projectacumen.com/products/my-schedule-index/ to convert your schedule to UN/CEFACT XML.