Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

WBS manuals

6 replies [Last post]
Andrew Podolny
User offline. Last seen 41 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi, fellow.
I’d like to share some information about WBS which I found very useful.

* Creating The Work Breakdown Structure
By Kim Colenso, Managing Principal, Artemis Management Systems

* Project Management Institute Practice Standard for Work Breakdown Structures

You can download a.m. materials from:
http://rapidshare.de/files-en/616946/wbs.zip.html

Replies

Scott Tate
User offline. Last seen 15 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Ali,

I am currently in a similar situation. I did not know the Owner’s required WBS before starting to create the schedule and we won’t actually build the job in that order anyway. I set the scedule up by phase, area, level, etc. in the construction sequence we are going to follow. Now that I have received the WBS from our Owner, fortunately I only have to use it at a project level as I have multiple projects contained within one master. In your case, I would do the setup the same way, create it per zone and them apply the WBS codes. It sounds like you might need to add additional activities to account for the same type of activity within different zones. For like activities, differentiate them with a suffix on their activity description if they are in multiple zones or same zones with the same WBS. Hope this helps.
Ali Hamouda
User offline. Last seen 7 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

how can we match between formulating the activities while taking into consideration WBS and formulating the activities say Zone by Zone.I usually find it easier to build the group of activites in a zone wise..then I find it difficult to group the activities into the WBS.

say we have build the activities using WBS.how then we can group the activities under WBS and locate it into its appropriate zone..there might be an activity under the WBS which can be located in more than Zone..

what is the best way ?

Ali Hamouda
======================================
Stig J Leitet
User offline. Last seen 15 years 5 days ago. Offline
File is accessible if you scroll down to bottom of the web page. Then click the "free" button. You got to wait some time tho, around 1 minute.
Fritzie Lou Lapin...
User offline. Last seen 12 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi!

I can’t download also. Please kindly send it to fritzieloulapina@yahoo.com
Peter Hibberd
User offline. Last seen 18 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Hi All

WBS is IMHO the greatest tool in project planning. It confirms the scope of the project, it requires a disciplined pre defined structure which makes further filters and views easier to create. The only thing I have against it is that I think it should be slightly more than just a WORK Breakdown Structure, ie t should also contain non work items such as geographical location etc. But hey, whats in a name ?
Some software is very good with WBS and others rather poor. It also depends a lot on personal style and methodology.

Cheers
Nitin Naik
User offline. Last seen 7 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Andrew,

I was not able to download WBS manual from the website address you mentioned in your message.

Please email me the WBS zip file of the manual. My email address is naik_nitin@hotmail.com

In addition, I also want to know when to use WBS and activity codes. What is the difference between using acitivity codes over WBS code?

Highly appreciated replies on this query from any other people too
thanks
Nitin