Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

ETC different than Budgeted labour units for not started activity

No replies
Hamza BENOUFIR
User offline. Last seen 13 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

So a collegue showed me a weirdd situation in P6: an activity that hasn't started yet, however the estimate to complete labour units are different (lower) than the budgeted labour units. It seems odd for this to happen and I can't think of any explanation, especially for an activity with no actuals. Even the WBS EV caluclation considers ETC = BAT - EV.

Any ideas how is this caused and how to fix it?

Thanks,

_______
Update: Seems like this only happens when assigning an old baseline to Project Baseline, when assgning current project to PB the ETC is correct. What is the explanation?

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 4 days 7 hours ago. Offline

Hi Hamza,

The estimated quantity to complete the activity. Computed as either the remaining total units for the activity, or as Performance Factor * (Baseline Budgeted Labor Units - Budgeted Quantity of Work Performed), depending on the Earned Value Technique selected for the activity's WBS such as:

Activity-Earned-Value

Hamza BENOUFIR
User offline. Last seen 13 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello Rodel Marasigan,

Yes it seems like the Project Baseline has different budgeted units than the current project which brings me to my question: Why does P6 takes into account Project Baseline when calculating current project ETC labour units?

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 4 days 7 hours ago. Offline

It seems that the Baseline had different Budgeted Unit compare to your current schedule. To confirm, restore the baseline and check the activity that showing different Budgeted Unit and ETC if still the same.