Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Issue with future stored period performance - one for the tech heads!

10 replies [Last post]
John Sims
User offline. Last seen 2 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi All,

We have been asked to change our financial periods for 2022 in P6 V17.12, when we try and do this we get an error saying that some actuals have been stored in these periods, this has obviously been done in error.

I have scanned the projects and found some of the actuals within the projects, and put these in to the correct periods in 2021, is there a report i can run to make sure i have captured everything in the database including baselines that are attached to projects?

Also, the projects i have cleared are still showong the last period performance run as 2022, i have tried to wind this back to 2021 but it just reverts back to 2022.

Any help would be much apprieciated.

Thanks John

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 1 day 5 hours ago. Offline

You cannot edit the date in past period performance. You can change the name but not the date. You can also change or zero out the past period stored data but you cannot delete. The only way is to archieve the project that are using the past period stored then delete the project then delete the Financial Period.

Otherwise if you have direct access to the database, you can delete the record using sql delete function for the 3 tables I mentioned.

NOTE: "CAUTION" It is not a recomended specially if you don't have knowledge on P6 database.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Select Edit User preference

Then select Application

At the bottom under columns

select the financial period for which you want to edit the past period performance of any specific resource assignment

then close

Next go to the Activity directory

Click the resource tab

Right click on resource detail & customize

add columns from "Financial Period Value"

Press ok-

Now in the Details window you can edit the past performance actual there

John Sims

Thanks, i have already done this activity. P6 still doesnt allow me to change the dates in that period as i still thinks period is stored. I cannot reverse the stored period performance date in the stored performance function.

John Sims

Thanks, i have already done this activity. P6 still doesnt allow me to change the dates in that period as i still thinks period is stored. I cannot reverse the stored period performance date in the stored performance function.

John Sims

John Sims

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 6 hours ago. Offline

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
you can open all of the projects then filter any  where actual start is greater than 12/31/2021 or actual finish is greather than 12/31/20021 then fix these tyos you wont be able to fix the attached baselines unless you release them from the project that they are attached to. you have to edit the previous performance    If you have already defined the financial period, Select Edit User preferenceThen select Application - at the bottom under column level- select the financial period for which you want to edit the past period performance of any specific resource assignment-then closeNext go to the Activity directory Click the resource tab Right click on resource detail & customize-add columns from "Financial Period Value"- Press ok-Now in the Details window you can edit the past performance actual there
John Sims

Many thanks for your responce, i shall feed back if a sucess.

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 1 day 5 hours ago. Offline

This issue has been addressed in P6 V20.12, You can now assigned independent Financial Period calendar per Project. You can also now see which project is using the Financial Period calendar. It's like creating and asssigning calendar to the Project.

In regards to your issue, if you have direct access to the database, you can run a query on database to check which project had the Financial Period stored. There are 3 Tables related to Financial Period:

* FINDATES (Finacial Period)
* TASKFIN - (Activity Past Period Actuals)
* TRSRCFIN - (Activity Resource Assignment Past Period Actuals)

You may clear or change the Financial Period on Resource Assignment but not on TASK, therefore the period performance is still on the TASKFIN.

If you don't have direct access to the database, other option is to delete the Financial Period. If P6 allowing you to delete the financial period created, it means that no more project are using this Financial Period otherwise you have to open all the Project and check if these are using Financial Period. Once identified, you have to archieved or export the project as back-up and delete the project from the database or edit the data itself.

You can view and edit past period actual data for any financial period in the Activity Table and the Resources tab of Activity Details. The available financial period columns are listed in the Financial Period Value group of columns in the Columns dialog box.

You can change the Resources tab columns of Activity Details to display Actual Cost and Actual Units columns for any financial period. After you expose the columns you want, you can edit any value by clicking in the field.

There might be several financial periods specified in the Financial Periods dictionary. The Columns dialog box lists all the fields listed above for the range of financial periods you select in the User Preferences, Application tab. You must define a range of financial periods to display; otherwise, financial period columns are not available.

To edit past period actual data, the actual and actual this period units and cost must be linked in the project. Before editing past period actual data, verify that the Link actual to date and actual this period units and costs option is selected on the Project Details, Calculations tab.

Notes:

• You cannot edit past period actual data for activities that do not have an actual start date. You can edit past period actual data for activities that have resource assignments in the Resource Assignments window or in the Resources tab of Activity Details.
  • You cannot edit past period actual data if the project is read only or checked out.
  • For milestone activities, you can only edit past period expense costs.
  • When connected to a P6 Professional database: You must be assigned the Edit Period Performance, View Project Cost/Financials, Edit WBS Costs/Financials, and Add/Edit Activities Except Relationships project privileges to edit past period actual data.

When connected to a P6 EPPM database: You must be assigned the appropriate project privileges as defined in P6 to edit past period actual data.