Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

eBooks for P6 and/or General CPM Scheduling

4 replies [Last post]
Greg Paulson
User offline. Last seen 52 weeks 8 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

I am taking a 17 hour plane flight and thought a good scheduling eBook would either make some nice light reading, or an effective sleeping agent.

Does anyone know of a good eBook about CPM scheduling, or something particular to P6?

I'm hoping for something that isn't geared towards beginners.  I'd like to learn more about strategies and practices that would help make a schedule that is both a flexible planning tool, as well as protect against or facilitate potential claims.

It might be that presentations, shorter articles, or general links might be better for this.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Greg

Replies

Greg Paulson
User offline. Last seen 52 weeks 8 hours ago. Offline

I've gotton the first two books, which is already likely to be more than I'll be able to soak in between naps.  Thanks!

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Tom has also listed 3 essentail books to read I have the first 2 listed but have not read the 3rd.

The 1st two listed to me are a must read.  

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

I'd agree with Zoltan that the AACE RPs are both pretty topical and (like it or not) oriented more towards P6.  Become a member and download them for free.

Here are three ebooks that I keep in my Google books library (you'd need to fully download before your flight, I usually read them online):

O'Brien and Plotnick - CPM in Construction Management, Eighth Edition (2015, 752p)

Carson, Oakander, and Relyea - CPM Scheduling for Construction: Best Practices and Guidelines (2014, 288p)

Woolf - Faster Construction Projects with CPM Scheduling (2007, 456p).

The first is pretty much a textbook that covers the full gamut from theory to practice.  More arrow-diagramming than you've seen in a while.  The second came out of PMI's Scheduling Excellence Initiative.  As the subtitle implies, it's practice-oriented, generally identifying bad, good, better, and best approaches to various scheduling issues.  The third has been a hard read for me, with some out-of-the-box thinking and a slew of new definitions - might help you sleep.

Enjoy your flight.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

what about reading AACE best practices there ar e al ot of them in PDF format