Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Merging Activities to retain logic

3 replies [Last post]
Greg Paulson
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

I would like to merge a repeating sequence of activities so that a single activity would have the predecessor and successor logic of the five constituent activities.  I am not concerned about retaining any conflicting activity code, WBS, calendar, or resource assignments.  The purpose is purely to consolidate 5 concurrent activities that make up each cycle of work, but retain predecessor and successor logic.

I figure I can keep the predecessor logic by inserting a new activitity, tying the five component activities to it, then dissolving them.  But I can't figure out how to get the various successors of all the component activities into the single activity, other than to do it manually.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks, Greg.

Replies

Greg Paulson
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 days ago. Offline

The PC / SC solution is very creative and worked well, thanks!

Regarding the fragnet option, there are too many of these cycles to make that time-effective.  Thanks for the input thought!

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Greg,

As you've already suggested, create a common successor to the five activities ("SC").  Then, ALSO create a common predecessor to the five activities ("PC").  Now dissolve the five activities.  What remains are:

- "SC," whose predecessors include "PC" and all the other predecessors of the dissolved activities.

- "PC," whose successors include "SC" and all the other successors of the dissolved activities.

Now remove the FS relationship from "PC" to "SC," and assign a new FS relationship in the opposite direction, from "SC" to "PC."  Finally dissolve either "SC" or "PC."  Makes no difference which one. The one that's left is your consolidated activity. 

Good luck, tom     

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

create a fragnet of thiis in a separate schedule 5 activities with the linked successors 

then copy it into your current schedule 

or select import and at the import option select add to existing proejct