Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 Database - where are Baseline fields data located?

4 replies [Last post]
Matthew Hodgson
User offline. Last seen 10 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi there,

My first post!

I'm looking for Baseline fields in the P6 Database and cannot locate them. Principally interested in Project/BL1-3 baseline early start and finish dates. I've trawled the DB and this is the missing piece for a report I'm putting together.

My company uses P6 Rel 7 Sp3.

Can anyone please direct me to where baseline data is stored?

Many thanks, Matthew

Replies

Steve Ellis
User offline. Last seen 10 years 36 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Matthew,

As Ronald indicated, baselines are stored as an entire copy of a schedule. As such, baselines exist in the same tables as normal projects.

In order to find the baseline projects in the database tables, you first need to know the internal project identifier (proj_id) for your project. You then can use this with the orig_proj_id field in the PROJECT table to find your baseline projects. You could use something like:

select proj_id, proj_short_name from project where orig_proj_id=(select proj_id from project where proj_short_name='01');

Once you have the baseline project details, you can use this in the other tables to get the dates you need.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Ellis
User offline. Last seen 10 years 36 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Matthew,

As Ronald indicated, baselines are stored as an entire copy of a schedule. As such, baselines exist in the same tables as normal projects.

In order to find the baseline projects in the database tables, you first need to know the internal project identifier (proj_id) for your project. You then can use this with the orig_proj_id field in the PROJECT table to find your baseline projects. You could use something like:

select proj_id, proj_short_name from project where orig_proj_id=(select proj_id from project where proj_short_name='01');

Once you have the baseline project details, you can use this in the other tables to get the dates you need.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Steve

Matthew Hodgson
User offline. Last seen 10 years 39 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Ronald,

Thank you for the steer - very helpful.

In the screenshot below, you can see a new project called, "01" with a baseline created. In the DB, a second project, called, "01-B1" has been created to hold the baseline information.

Test Project with Baseline.png

Basic stuff, I guess but I'm learning. As you guessed, I come from a MS Project background and there's plenty of things to unlearn using P6! 

Regards, Matthew

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

Matthew,

You are looking for the wrong things.  MS Project stores information in baseline fields inside of the target project.  P6 uses entirely separate and independent schedules as baseline schedules.  You assign the baseline schedule to a project and then all fields are available as baseline fields.   Baseline Schedule “A” can be assigned as BL1 on one day and Baseline Schedule “B” can be assigned to that very same slot on the next.  I suggest that you read up on what P6 has to say about managing Baseline Schedules. Good luck!