Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Rampup modelisation

4 replies [Last post]
sylvain ledoyen
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

I have a task under MSProject which corresponds to an action whose duration does not depend on the number of resources.
I would like to integrate resources on this task gradually.

On the first day, 2 resources are on the task, 3 more the next day, 1 more the following week and so on.

How do you model this rampup in the allocation of resources to a single task?

If I add a resource in the gantt, it arrives directly on the first day of the task.

I tried to set the resource to 50% when it gets to half the duration of the task, but that doesn't reflect reality since the ressource could be 100% on something else elsewhere.

The only way I have found is to go to the "resource usage" tool and put 0 on the days when the resource is not assigned to the task .... But it is not easy to put in practice as soon as there are many tasks.

If anyone knows how to make it easier, I'm interested :)

Thank you all.

Sylvain.

Replies

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 4 days 22 hours ago. Offline

sylvain,

Beware making manual entries to leveling delay of tasks or assignments.  Although manual entries are allowed, they are easily overwritten by the resource leveler.  Manual entries of assignment delay and manual entries to the usage tables will not be overwritten.  Good luck, tom  

sylvain ledoyen
Hi.Thank you, this is much much more easy thant what I did before : Going to "task usage" and putting 0 to each day the ressources will be out of the task. Your proposal actually does the same job, but easier and with a slight difference.Whereas my old method keeps the duration of the task, whatever the modification you make and whatever the type of the task is (fixed duration or fixed capacity or fixed work), your method takes in consideration the type of task and warns you if the task's duration has to be extended. In other words, the delay put in "resource usage" will be a shift of the duration of the resource. There is maybe something to dig around the "Leveling Delay" in the task form. Let me take time to understand how it works and if this is interesting for that question, I will respond here. This form was deeply hidden for me in MSProject and I'm very glad you made me find it ! ;)Thank you for all. Regards,Sylvain.
sylvain ledoyen
Hi.Thank you, this is much much more easy thant what I did before : Going to "task usage" and putting 0 to each day the ressources will be out of the task. Your proposal actually does the same job, but easier and with a slight difference.Whereas my old method keeps the duration of the task, whatever the modification you make and whatever the type of the task is (fixed duration or fixed capacity or fixed work), your method takes in consideration the type of task and warns you if the task's duration has to be extended. In other words, the delay put in "resource usage" will be a shift of the duration of the resource. There is also maybe something to dig around the "Leveling Delay" in the task form. Let me take time to understand how it works and if this is interesting for that question, I will respond here. This form was deeply hidden for me in MSProject and I'm very glad you made me find it ! ;)Thank you for all. Regards,Sylvain.