Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Rounding Up in MSP

3 replies [Last post]
Brian Nicholson
User offline. Last seen 5 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I'm using MSP2010. I have created a custom Number field to calculate Baseline Variance in Days. Problem is MSP for some reason is returning the variance to 2 decimal places i.e 2.63. Is there a way to round up or down the decimals to whole numbers??

Thanks in advance

Brian

Replies

Brian Nicholson

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the response. yeah I noticed in the baseline that some activities were finished at odd times during the day i.e 12:36 and the progressed activities were finsihed at different times hence the 2.63 days variance. Now I understand what was causing it I can explain it to the PM's client.

One of the problems when picking up someone else's work!!!!

Cheers,

Brian

Brian Nicholson

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the response. yeah I noticed in the baseline that some activities were finished at odd times during the day i.e 12:36 and the progressed activities were finsihed at different times hence the 2.63 days variance. Now I understand what was causing it I can explain it to the PM's client.

One of the problems when picking up someone else's work!!!!

Cheers,

Brian

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Brian, MSP doesn't have a powerful rounding function.  You can use Format("your formula",0) to round to the nearest integer or Format("your formula",0.0) to round to the nearest tenth.  Otherwise you would be stuck with some goofy workarounds.

By the way, such fractional variances are a typical unintended result of entering date/time values (either actuals or constraints) without due care to the time of day being entered.  You may want to fix such issues anyway (start by setting your default date format to one that shows time of day.) [Edit:  Updating task progress using %complete combined with a status date can also cause similar results. E.g. appying 25% complete to a 5-day task sets actual duration to 1.25d and remaining duration to 3.75d.  It's best to directly input actual or remaining duration instead.]

Good luck, tom