Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Free float as duration automatically

5 replies [Last post]
Martin M
User offline. Last seen 9 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I am new to Microsoft Project, but has much experience with Safran Project. Is it possible to get MS Project automatically set free float of a activity as the activity's duration? 

Ex. on follow-on activities.

I also miss the "planned progress" coloumn, but according to google that is impossible without using formulas which hardly works. Or is it a solution without using formulas?

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Replies

Evgeny Z.
User offline. Last seen 38 weeks 5 days ago. Offline
Sub ExtendTasksDurationToEliminateFreeSlack()

Dim tsk As Task
Dim amntTasksExtended As Integer

amntTasksExtended = 0

For Each tsk In ActiveProject.Tasks

If tsk.FreeSlack > 0 Then

tsk.Duration = tsk.Duration + tsk.FreeSlack

amntTasksExtended = amntTasksExtended + 1

End If

Next tsk

MsgBox (amntTasksExtended & " tasks have been extended to eliminate free slack")

End Sub
Evgeny Z.

Martin, this is how VBA could look like (see next post)

Martin M
User offline. Last seen 9 years 1 week ago. Offline

Thank you for the answers,

No I only want to use it on follow on activities, which will run from and to dates given by other parameters. This means that I have to change duration on the follow on activities when the other parameters changes, for example an installation date. I want it to have free float zero and not on critical path.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 18 hours 52 min ago. Offline

If you give them more time they will use it pretending to be busy as there is no hurry, it is the opposite of targeting a tight schedule in the hope you will make it, it is contrary to common sense.  

It can be done using formulas, a user defined field to store remaining duration before the tweaking, then add current free float to remaining durations using formulas, recalculate and present the schedule with no free float, before updating restore schedule remaining durations to value before the tweaking, make the update, get new free float values and continue the cycle of deception. 

Does Safran Project recommends such a deception strategy?

Evgeny Z.

Martin,

I assume, that under " set free float of a activity as the activity's duration" you mean to extend activitie's duration in such a way, that its free float would be 0.

There is no standard way to do it, you would have to write Visual Basic script for it.

But I wonder, why would you need it?

Regards.

Evgeny