Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

MSP2007 - Summary EV Calculation

1 reply [Last post]
Tony McClennon
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

First of all, apologies if this has been covered in a previous post - I have gone back 3 years on this board and not been able to find the answer!!

Using MSP2007, I have been asked to produce a fairly basic EV report, and thought that MSP would be the ideal tool to do this. There are a number of tasks that roll up under three separate summary bars (Design, Procurement, Construction). All tasks are baselined, and I have added some cost information against the tasks (fixed costs rather than labour rates x hours).

As I would have expected, if I progress tasks as all up to date, task SPI/CPI are coming out as 1.

When I enter % complete as less than the Planned Value information, the task shows the "shortfall" in cash terms, and also shows the SPI being less than 1 (as expected), but does not show this shortfall in "earned value" as a forecast overspend in the EAC field, nor does the CPI change as I would have expected.

In addition, when I check the summary tasks, this is showing an SPI of 1.94, rather than something between 0.83 and 1 (the two SPI values of the sub-tasks).

I have searched the internet for a solution, and whilst there seems to be an acknowledgement that this is a problem, and the suggested solution of changing the EV calculation basis to use "Physical % Complete" does not seem to make any difference.

Is there something glaringly obvious that I am missing here? Any help gratefully accepted!!

Replies

Tony McClennon
User offline. Last seen 11 weeks 6 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Think I may have answered my own question!!! Whilst playing around, I realised that after adding some more costs in that the updated tasks needed rebaselining in order for the calculations to be done correctly.

When using Tools/Tracking/ Set Baseline then choosing "selected tasks", it offers an option  to "Roll up Baselines" and select "To all summary tasks". When I checked this box, the SPI then recalculated the summary bar, and this now shows an SPI of 0.89 (the two costed tasks below have SPIs of 0.8 and 1 hence 0.89 is in the right "ball park") instead of the previous 1.94.

Fingers crossed this has resolved the issue!!