Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Modifying "Cost"

3 replies [Last post]
Bob Foden
User offline. Last seen 6 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I have a fairly high level MSP with a number of summary bars that have a lump sum cost against them. There are sub activities but these do not have the costs split out. I want to modify the lump sum cost in the summary line but they are "greyed" out. Does anyone know if this is possible ?

Thanks

Bob

Replies

Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 18 weeks ago. Offline
The behaviour and the logical reasons for it is easy to figure out with a small example.
Make a few tasks, indent them under a summary (heading), don’t assign any resources.
The reason you cannot change the Cost field of the summary is because it is a calculated field that rolls up the costs of the tasks. You can type directly into the cost field of the tasks. MSP will assume that it is a fixed cost because it doesn’t come from any resource cost, and will fill in the fixed cost field of the task for you (very helpful).
You can type directly in the fixed cost field of the summary.
The total cost of the summary is the rolled up total of the tasks plus the fixed cost of the summary.

Here is one reason not to put in a fixed cost (or anything else) for the summary. When the Analyse Timescaled Data in EXCEL wizard in the analysis toolbar only searches for the costs of tasks and skips the summaries. Easy to test.

Bob Foden
User offline. Last seen 6 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Trevor,

From your comments it looks like the data was added in the "fixed cost" column which can be modified. I don’t know why this was subsequently copied across into the "Cost" column.

I take your point about having a dummy task to assign a cost to rather than using the summary.

Thanks for your input

Bob
Trevor Rabey
User offline. Last seen 1 year 18 weeks ago. Offline
When you say that the summaries have a "lump sum" cost against them, can you be more specific.
What Task field is the cost in and how did it get there?

Have you typed numbers directly into the Fixed Cost field (second column in the Cost Table)?

Have you typed numbers into the Cost field (4th column in the Cost field?

Have the Summaries picked up a cost from a Resource assigned to it?

Regardless, you should not use the Summaries for anything other than headings and sub-headings for groups of Tasks and Milestones. ie, no resources, no costs, no fixed costs, no predecessors, no successors.
You are better off having a dummy Task with a Fixed Cost.