Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Task duration less than elapsed time??

3 replies [Last post]
Sara Hellier
User offline. Last seen 16 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi, I’m new here, have just discovered what I hope will be a very useful online resource!!I have a question about task scheduling, current plan I’m working on has (for example)
Task 1 – place order, 1 day, 15 Apr
Task 2 – order delivery process, 60 days
Task 3 - delivery milestone, 0 days, 4th August

Now task 1 is today, task 3 is 4th August which is a greater elapsed time than the 60 days delivery, delivery is 3rd party and I don’t care now they split the task just that delivery is not before 4th August. How can I show this in project, in putting a FNET date of 4th August onto task 3 it’s just slipping the start date and making it a critical taks which obviously it’s not. I’ve tried adding my own splits but whatever I do the task is appearing as critical?

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks.

Replies

Darren Kosa
User offline. Last seen 7 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Sara,

Sounds like what you’re after is a ’Hammock’ task.

If it is, be careful how often you use them as they have been known to corrupt project files if you have too many.

Have a look and see if this fits the bill.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/141733

Regards,

Darren
Sara Hellier
User offline. Last seen 16 years 1 week ago. Offline
Hi Darren,

Thanks for the reply, sorry I’m confusing things and I don’t even know how, I’ve just gone back to check what I’ve done and yep, following your guide gives the right result!!

I was trying to show the same without Task 3 - ie is there any way to show in MSP a floating task whos start date is driven by Task 1 but whos end date is driven by elapsed time (a date) rather than task duration i.e avoiding the need to add Task 3 as a successor. ie the delivery window is say 80days but the delivery process is 60days.

Thanks

Darren Kosa
User offline. Last seen 7 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Sara,

It seems a little strange that the end milestone date would move the start date of Task 1, if everything is linked correctly.

I’m assuming that you have already set the project start date and that the activities are being driven by precedence rather that constraints.

I’m also assuming that the schedule looks something like this

Task 1 Duration 1d and has a FS relationship with Task 2
Task 2 Duration 60d and has a FS relationship with Task3
Task 3 Duration 0d and has a FNET constraint 04/08/08

Task 1 Starts 15/04/08 Finishes 15/04/08
Task 2 Starts 16/04/08 Finishes 10/07/08 (Inc. Bank Holidays)
Task 3 Starts 04/08/08 Finishes 04/08/08

Another question is, do you have the ’Tasks will always honor their constraint dates’ checkbox ticked? (Tools > Options > Schedule Tab)

Regards,

Darren