Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Visio with MSP

3 replies [Last post]
Tony McClennon
User offline. Last seen 12 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None
I have been looking for a way of creating a WBS structure which is consistant with the schedule structure in MSP.

I was directed to MS Visio which is apparently part of MS Office, and allows flowcharts etc to be produced as well as WBS’s.

It also claims to be able to interface with MSP and transfer a WBS into MSP, and conversely copy in a structure based on the levels of indent within MSP.

However, can anyone advise if once a WBS is created and "aligned" with the MSP schedule, is the WBS automatically updated should additional WBS elements be added, or do you have to "export" from MSP each time to recreate?

Thanks.

Replies

James Ivie
User offline. Last seen 9 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
When you use Microsoft Project and Visio you bring up a tool bar in Project that has an icon for exporting the MS Project file to Visio. In Visio it actually uses the organization chart feature to buid the WBS chart. The wizard in MS Project asks you if you want to select all tasks, or specify the tasks. If you elect to specify the tasks, the table in Project is changed and a column introduced where you select or deselect each task. After that step the chart is created in Visio and Visio opens.

You have to go through this process each time you want to make a WBS chart. There is no backward link to Project if you change the chart in Visio. I use the feature sparingly, at the start of a project or when I change the performance baseline WBS structure.

Jim
Norzul Ibrahim
User offline. Last seen 16 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Dear James,

Can yu elaborate further? Is the change yu made by MS Visio will be automatatically updated in MSP?

Thanks

norzul
James Ivie
User offline. Last seen 9 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Each time you create as WBS drawing, it is an export of the current MSP file. The nice thing is that you can select which tasks you want to include.