Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Showing Planned % in MSP

6 replies [Last post]
Mary JoAnn
User offline. Last seen 17 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Need some help.

I have saved a schedule with a baseline.

How do i Show "Planned %" for each activities on a particular update date ?

I want a layout comparing Planned Vs Actual % for each activity on a particular data date.

Thanks

Replies

Raj Maurya
User offline. Last seen 2 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Maria,
You can try to calculate with the customize field from tool and put the formula in the number field(custom date - early start date)*100/(early finish-early start), that will show the planned progress and you already have the actual progress field.
Where the custom date you can say "date1" and put the date in the date1 field from which date you want to calculate % planned progress.
Hope this will work.
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 weeks ago. Offline
Does all the activities in the schedule need to be linked for ’update progress’ function to work. No.

-Does ’update progress’ function works fine for activities with constraints too? Yes.

Just put together a small schedule and test the function before using it on a live project.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Book Publishers, Training & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Mary JoAnn

Thanks for the prompt reply Paul.

Couple of quick questions:

-Does all the activities in the schedule need to be linked for ’update progress’ function to work.

-Does ’update progress’ function works fine for activities with contraints too ?
Paul Harris
There are many ways this can be achieved but I feel the simplest way I can see to achieve the result you require is to:
1. Take an unprogressed copy of the schedule,
2. Use Tools, Tracking, Update project and update the project to the current status date. MSP will calculate both the detailed and summary % complete based on the work progressing according to plan.
3. Copy and past the values from the % Complete Column into a number or text column of your current schedule.

You will need to add or remove lines in your unprogressed schedule to match your current schedule.

The summary durations are calculated on the sum of actual durations divided by the sum of all the durations and does not give an accurate measure of progress unless all tasks are of equal value.

Hopfully some one else may have a simpler solution for you.

Paul E Harris
www.eh.com.au
Mary JoAnn
Dear paul,

I have answered your questions in BOLD:

1. What version of MSP are you using - MSP - 2000

2. Is the schedule resourced - NO ITS JUST A SIMPLE BAR CHART

3. Have the resources rates and does the schedule include all the costs - NO

4. Do you want the % Planned based on time, units or costs? - KNOWING PLANNED % BASED ON TIME WOULD BE OK

Would appreciate a detailed reply.

Paul Harris
Mary JoAnn

I do not think there is a specific field for this data but it may be possible to calculate this information in a Custom field.

You need to supply a more information before this question may be answered.

1. What version of MSP are you using
2. Is the schedule resourced
3. Have the resources rates and does the schedule include all the costs
4. Do you want the % Planned based on time, units or costs?

Paul E Harris
www.eh.com.au