Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

How MS_Project Schedules it is Tasks

4 replies [Last post]
Ali Hamouda
User offline. Last seen 7 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi there,

Can any one tell me,how MS-Project schedules activities..
we know in P3 when we schedule activities by pressing F3 or whatever so as EARLY & LATE DATES will be Produced by the CPM calculations..

I couldn’t see EARLY & LATE DATES IN MS-PROJECT..IS CPM used in MS-Projct? or it has no use..

Apolojize me I am very new in MS-Project..might my questions reflect that I did not go through MS-Project throughly and that is True.

Thanks in Advance for your Answers.

Ali Hamouda
===========================================================

Replies

Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 5 weeks ago. Offline
The export and import from P3/SUreTrak to and from MSP may in all but simply structured project be considered a data export and often a project will calculate differently in MSP to P3/SureTrak. This is due to the differences in the way they calculate and some other issues.

There is an article on my web site at www.eh.com.au which explains the process of conversion and problems and pitfalls.

Regards

Paul E Harris
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
No, that is not the issue. MS Project uses logic and activity durations to schedule tasks. It just always starts from the project start date and not the status date (which does not exist as explained earlier.)

Importing and exporting from MS Project to Primavera products is very difficult but can be done. The two products have many incompatibilities (other than the lack of a status date.) MS Project only lets you have one relationship between any two activities (Primavera lets you have up to four.) Summary and roll-up levels do not transfer simply. The list is long.

In short, do not plan to transfer schedules back and forth on a regular basis. Life is too short for such constant aggravation.
Ali Hamouda
User offline. Last seen 7 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Is that mean that exporting from MS-Project to P3 or from P3 to MS-Project,will not Keep the Logic of the schedule?

that mean we only exprot Information about the project ,regardless of the Logic of the schedule isn’t it???

Ali
===========================================================
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Ali,

You confusion is understandable. MS Project does not use the concept of a “data date” or date that the status is valid. There is a date line shown on the screen, but it is always today’s date, regardless of when the status of the project was last taken.

MS Project uses a form of CPM that always begins at the beginning of the project and treats actual durations as if they were estimated durations. If you have three activities in a serial logic stream (say A – B – C) and A and C were complete but B was un-started, MS Project will still schedule activity B to occur between activities A and C (ie. in the past.)

To be completely true-full, MS Project 2002 has added the ability to use a status date. This option is not turned-on by default and the number of options and conditions that you have to decide upon if you do intend to use it will almost guarantee you that your settings will be different from someone else who also attempted to do the same thing.

Good luck!