Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

I thought you for concurrent delays you got time but not money, evidently not the case?

2 replies [Last post]
John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 1 day 4 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have read that you only get time for time that only the owner delayed the project, how can this be - because that would be compensatable.  So time extensions are not granted for perfectly equal delays by owner and contractor?  For example, I found this example:  (seems crazy)

For example, if the contractor delayed the project by a week due to manpower issues, and the owner delayed work for two weeks reviewing submittals, the contractor could submit a request for a one-week extension. 

Replies

Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 5 days 19 hours ago. Offline

Entitlement to time and/or money for concurrent delays depends on 1. the contract and 2. the legl jurisdiction, and 3. how the claim is structured (pacing, etc.).  No easy answers......  Depending where in the world you are the answers will be different, you can select from a range of resources on concurrent and parallel delays at: https://mosaicprojects.com.au/PMKI-ITC-020.php#Concurrent

John Reeves
User offline. Last seen 1 day 4 hours ago. Offline

I always thought Option two below is the most common in Public Works projects. So if the owner has 3 delays equaling 30 cal. days and so does the contractor, = time extension and no comp. Is the above true, I have since learned concurrent delay is done 3 ways: - how would you "apportion" in the case above 50/50 of option 3 below is used? Do different agencies use different approaches? Approaches for dealing with concurrent delays: The issue of concurrent delay is dealt with differently in the various forms of contract. Importantly, it is not possible to argue that one approach is definitely "right". In general, there are three main approaches for dealing with the issue of concurrent delay. They are: Option One: Contractor has no entitlement to an extension of time if a concurrent delay occurs. Option Two: Contractor has an entitlement to an extension of time if a concurrent delay occurs, time but not compensation. Option Three: Causes of delay are apportioned between the parties and the Contractor receives an extension of time equal to the apportionment (for example, if the concurrent causes of a 10-day delay are apportioned 60:40 Owner: Contractor, the Contractor would receive a six-day extension of time).