Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Weather Delay

2 replies [Last post]
Nilesh Jain
User offline. Last seen 3 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

We have a contractor who is asking for the time extension due to weather. However, this year 2020 it is observed that there was no extraordinary rainfall.

My question is, what parameter do we consider to calculate anticipated adverse weather day and incorporate in the schedule?

The GC claims that any day with rainfall above 0.25 is adverse rainfall that could stop construction. However, some experts say any day above the monthly average precipitation is considered as adverse weather. 

Your expert opinion is appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Nilesh Jain

Replies

ghiz mar
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi all,

In my experience ,I think it depends on the tasks, and the construction manager who will be able to confirm whether the contractor was really forced to stop the work because of the precipitation, because sometimes the contractor can work on other tasks inside buildings.

Regards,

Mar

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 1 year 2 weeks ago. Offline

Im no expert in delay claims, but I do enjoy the topic of weather in scheduling!

A few things to bear in mind:

1) Weather impacts activities to different degrees, for example 0.25" of rain may impact earthworks activities to a greater degree than say internal fitout

2) Is the weather impacting the entire site or or only portions of it - particularly relevant in longer linear style projects

3) Have they already made any provisions for inclement weather, and if so, is what they're claiming greater than that amount?

It seems a bit far-fetched to simply claim that all rainfall caused all works to be suspended.