Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Time Impact Analysis (Prog Override vs. Retained Logic)

5 replies [Last post]
Hesham Mahmoud
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Is it the Contractor’s choice to adjust P3 scheduling settings to either progress override or retained logic while developing the impacted program? With the same logic, is the Contractor free to use the program "impact" technique, i.e. as planned, as built, or slice time?

Lets assume that none of the above issues are defined in Contract or agreed on through the use of SCL protocol for example!

Regards,

Replies

Waleed Mahfouz
User offline. Last seen 7 years 46 weeks ago. Offline
WONDERFUL QUESTION, I THINK THE CONTRACTOR CAN’T ADJUST THIS OPTION WHEN UPDATING, BECAUSE IT WILL BE MISLEADING ACTION AND CAN’T MONITOR THE SITE WORKS.
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Actually,

My post will not help anyone in the project team. But it is real experience.

So go back to Post No. 3 by Andrew.

But the best advice is just blend with the project team, like a TIMANO of the Bourne Identity series.

I think this is one reason Primavera give this options. It will make us flexible and not dogmatic in our planning activities.

Remember, planning is only a tools. There are lots of controversy and issues on the way planning are implemented in particular project.

Cheers,

Sensei

Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
HI,

Very interesting. I think depends on which side are you

The bright side, if your are in the contractor side

use retained logic to scare the project team in acting to mitigate delays, the top executive of the contractor are ignoramos always under the influence of commercial or contract department believing that claims for extension of time and associated cost will give them more profit than running the project as per baseline program or revised baseline program

use progress overide if the project teams are enligthen, the contract department influence in site activities are minimal to the point of zero, progress overide will also make way to upgrade the program into live and realistic schedule activities.

IF you are on the dark side, meaning, consultant, project manager, client. Always use retained logic to scare the contractor in doing there very best to achieve project goals.

Cheers,

Sensei
Andrew Flowerdew
User offline. Last seen 2 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Neither give the final answer, use whichever but be prepared to adjust the results if needed to reflect the reality of what happened when updating.
ashraf alawady
User offline. Last seen 9 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,Hesham
progress override logic should be used for the horizontal projects like roads and infrastructures.
retained logic should be used for the vertical projects like Buildings.

THANKS