Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Vatriation vrs. Varied Work

15 replies [Last post]
ashraf alawady
User offline. Last seen 9 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,all
is there any deference between vatriation and varied work in the light of general condition of contract claue 44,51and 52.

Replies

Shahzad Munawar
User offline. Last seen 8 years 50 weeks ago. Offline
We can’t simplify more to differentiate between the Variation and Varied Works as stated by Andrew and illustrated by Ashraf.

Better to seek your contractual provisions in this respect.
ashraf alawady
Hi,Dear all
for example if we have in the original scope of works 40mm asphalt wearing cource and we canged during the construction stage to 50mm thick asphalt wearing course so this case can consider as varied works and it may cause additional cost only by no additional time.
if we dont have ,in the original scope of works in the contract, to lay asphalt wearing course and the employer/the engineer issued an instruction to the contractor to lay asphalt wearing course so this case is considered as variation to the contarct and it will cause additional cost and may time impact to the contract.
Andrew Flowerdew
User offline. Last seen 2 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Variation tends to mean one of two things, just to confuse:

1. Variation of the Contract - a change in the contract terms

2. Variation of the Works - a change to the work actually being performed.

The meaning of the term as used should be defined in the contract - often isn’t, but try and find a definition in your contract first.
julius achy
User offline. Last seen 13 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
I agrre with Pradeep on this issue though i am responding late, still believing that truth can never be buried permanently.
The word varied work and variation are same but different part of speech.
While variation is a noun , varied work is an adjectival noun.
Variation is change in the original scope while varied work is "the outcome of the variation.

This is something like a task and its deliverable.

TX

ashraf alawady
Hi,Dev
i would like to send my regards to Dr. Samarthunga .

Regards
Ashraf(Ital Consult)
Pradeep Mendonca
User offline. Last seen 15 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
You are absolutely right David !!

Cant say any more on that...

cheers,
pradeep
David Barker
User offline. Last seen 6 years 5 days ago. Offline
Beware!

You have a variation absolutely necessary in order to complete the work as contracted, such as changes to spec because materials to the specified quality are not any more available in the market, materials to the specified quality are no longer commercially viable, or because materials are on long lead and cannot be procured within the contract period;

You have variations such as street lighting, additional story over and above that required under the contract, residential block converted to Hotel;

The first is a variation that should be executed, priced and rated as per the contract.

The second are changes to the scope (scope creep) that should probably be subject to supplemental agreement at new rates with additional time to complete.
ashraf alawady
If,both variations and varied works look similar and it is just a terminolgy which can be used either ways.
Hoe ca we differenciate between the following cases:
1- we have as per the contract,to supply,lay and install 2 ways 150mm dia. upvc future duct crossing under the new roads and we got instruction to vary this works and install 6 ways 150mm dia. instead of 2 way 150 mm ducts.

2- As per the contract , we do not have any works related to street lighting and we got instruction to add all the works for providing street kighting system.

Dev Tamboli
User offline. Last seen 10 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ashraf,

i tried to do some more research on it.

i discussed with Dr. Samarthunga and he told me that we can consider that all the varied works come under variation only. so you can say that all the varied works are variations but all variations are not varied work. so varied work is one of the atagory of variations.

but in uae what QS guys practice is, if there is anything in BOQ and change in quantity then they say it is variation and if there is something which is not in BOQ and completely new addition to the work they call it as a varied work. like if you will go throught the clause numbers i referred for varied work you will find some rework, change in specs or complete change in scope of work.

this is what my understanding till now, i m still trying to find out more expert opinions.

will keep you updated.

cheers,

Dev
Pradeep Mendonca
User offline. Last seen 15 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all...

as i read through the FIDIC, both variations and varied works look similar. So i beleive it is just a terminolgy which can be used either ways.

i personally do not agree with dev as well (apologies for that) ’coz variation does include for the change in quality and specs as per the definition of variations stated in fidic.

correct me if i am wrong.

thanx,
pradeep
ashraf alawady
I beileve that what Dev Tamboli wrote in his post is the logical and acceptable explanation.

do you agree with me or not.
Dev Tamboli
which explanation is not acceptable to you?
if my explanation is not accepted then give me your idea.

cheers,
ashraf alawady
For me ;This explenation is totally not acceptable and i beileve it is also not correct .

Bolisetti Jogiraju
User offline. Last seen 5 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Hi
Ashraf !

First of all,who had these types of variable ideas to find the variation between varied work and variations.

I request you to understand the definition of variation OR deviation OR change in accordance with the Cl 51.

Hope you never vary your mind again.

Cheers.
Dev Tamboli
Hi Ashraf

variations are the variations issued by the engineers in addition to the original scope of work that is entirely a new work.

varied work is something which is already there but change in specification or change in quality etc.

suppose you are constructing a building if there is additional floors included that is varuiation and if there is change in the tiles or change in paint etc that is varied work.

in FIDIC clause 51.1, 5.2, 7.1, 13.1, and 18.1 refer to variations
and clause 17.1, 20.3, 31.2, 49.3, 65.3 refer to varied work

just go through these clauses you will get better idea.

cheers,

Dev