Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Importing/Exporting from/to CSV

11 replies [Last post]
Bogdan Leonte
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 23 hours ago. Offline

Hello Vladimir,

I have created an Excell Macro that will generate an "oper" document and save it as a text tab delimited file, in order to import activities into Spider. I have set up the Macro to create for all activities all the "Standard" column values (I refer to the values of all the volums duration, ASAP, Split and so on) to have the default values of the single activity when creating a new project (Activity).

Everithing works great, but I have a question about the Identifier column. How does it's values affect the project, for example I saw that when creating a new project Activity 1 has the value of the Identifier equal to 28, when creating a new activity, the new activity will have the Identifire value 28 + 2 and so on. I also noticed that the Identifier value doesn't have to be unique.

Bottom line question, if in the oper.txt the Identifier field is equal to ""(nothing) or the same number (let's say 28) for all activities does this affect my results of sheduling, costs, assignments or any other results?

Regards,

Bogdan

Replies

I think that it is really programming question but if you want to get the same schedule in MS Project export resource dependencies or set Start NET=Start (by formula) to project activities before creating xml. Then you may apply Undo to delete unnecessary Start NET values..

Bogdan Leonte

Hello Vladimir,

this may be more of a programming question but I don't understand why when importing from Spider xml into MS Project the resource contrained scheduling done in Spider is undone?

Bogdan,

this functionality existed for many years but nobody used it. So we decided to remove export tables to html.

Bogdan Leonte
I got it to work by closing the proj and the program and then I tried exporting it again. If I will have any more problems regarding export/ import I will contact support. On a different topic when exporting to CSV I saw options for html export but they are not available. Is this a future functionality or do I need to do a certain procesure to export it to html?

Bogdan,

the best way to understand and solve the proble is to send your question together with project file to Spider technical support: smt@spiderproject.ru

Recently this function was improved because there were problems with text export/import of large projects.

I suggest to send your project to technical support and download and try new Spider version.

Best Regards,

Vladimir

Bogdan Leonte

Vladimir,

can you tell me some reasons why a CSV export might fail. I get the message that all the files *.txt cannot be created (I get this message for all individual files).

Thank you!

Regards,

Bogdan

Bogdan Leonte

I have those files.

Regards,

Bogdan

You will need also to create a lists of activities, resources and multi-resources. So you also need the following files: oper.txt - activities, res.txt - resources, resmult.txt - multi-resources.
Bogdan Leonte

Vladimir,

when importing resource assignments and multi-resource assignments what files do I need to write/import other than assresmult and ass ?

Regards,

Bogdan

Bogdan Leonte

That is very nice, less code for me to write. 

Regards,

Bogdan

Bogdan,

this field is not imported, it is created by Spider Project and is unique for any activity. It is used for remembering the order in which activities were created, for activity unique ID even if its code was changed (used in connections with other softwares and databases). So you may enter anything in this field or not enter anything, or do not create this field at all at oper.txt.

When creating the project from CSV files Spider imports all existing information and generates what is absent. You may create only activity names in oper.txt and other default fields will be created. So enter only those information that really exists and do not create fields that are not used.

Regards,

Vladimir