Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Career trends in planning and controls

1 reply [Last post]
Morne Beeslaar
User offline. Last seen 6 years 43 weeks ago. Offline

Hi all,

So I have been working in project management for the last 20 years and planning specifically for the last 8. I have moved into project controls over the last 4 years and I am wrapping up an MBA at the end of this year.

South Africa is feeling the bite in the job market and I am wondering what your opinions are on future career trends for planners and controls personnel. I have considered studying a Phd but I am not sure that it will necessarily add value.

Interested to hear your opinions.

Morne

Replies

Danya Pearce
User offline. Last seen 3 years 1 week ago. Offline

Hi Morne

I think a PHD may set you back a little in the controls sphere. South Africa tends to have planners or controls people with no degrees and a PHD may intimidate them further. Are you looking locally for work or internationally?

The engineering market is probably a little tight now, but the building side is doing quite well. What technical background do you have?