Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Planner vs. Scheduler

7 replies [Last post]
Ali Farhat
User offline. Last seen 13 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I know this might seem trivial, but i would like your opinion regarding the difference between the title "Project Planner" and "Project Scheduler"

Replies

Ali Farhat
Many thanks Raviraj
this paper is definitely of great help
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Ali Farhat
Many thanks Samer, I think I am geting the picture
So far I have been working solo as a free lancer and none of the projects i did exceeded 15M $.
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Ali,

The planning process is a team effort. The team should sit and discuss all the deliverables as per Contract and the activities that are required to complete the job.

The person working throughout the planning process is the Planner, and the output of the Planning Process is the Schedule. The person maintaining the schedule up to the close out of the contract is the Scheduler.

Smaller projects have one person doing the complete job, while on larger projects you will have many people each working on a certain discipline.

The choice of title for the Job is up to you.

Best Regards,

Samer
Ali Farhat
I will make myself clearer,
I once thought that a planner makes the logic of the plan while a scheduler applies somebody’s else logic. i.e. the scheduler is just a tool operator.
Ali Farhat
Thanks Samer,
I just need to know briefly the job description of both titles.
I thought a planner PLANS for the activities and sequence while a schedule applies someone’s plan onto a planning tool. Am I right?
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Ali,

It depends on the size of the Project.

The Planning Job can be done by a person called a "Planner" and the maintenance, updating, or keeping the schedule current, by a person called a "Scheduler".

Plenty of articles are available online, you need only to run a simple search.

Best Regards,

Samer