Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Work in UK

5 replies [Last post]
Norman Yeh
User offline. Last seen 15 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Planner,

I am a new member of "Planning Plannet". Surprised me is that there are many open jobs for the planner in UK.

Is it the reason that London will host 2012 Olympic Games?

I was borned in Taiwan.I have 1 year of civil work design and 14 years of construction management experence(11 years in construction and 3 years in planning) in the large scale civil work.However,I did not have any foreign country working experience.
Do I have any chance to work in UK? How to apply a working permit in UK?

Could you please answer my question if you have time.

Regards,

Dennis

Replies

Sunil Kumar
User offline. Last seen 7 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Norman,

I see you have experience In Railroads, why dont you try Dubai which is coming out with a new Metro and some big players are involved in the construction such as

1.Parsons International
2. Capita Symonds
3. KBR
4. Mitsubishi Corporation and lot more

Bottom line is there are no taxes here

Cheers

Sunil
Norman Yeh
Thanks again Steven,

Well, is it means working less than one full tax year is a better way to claim this tax back?

My overseas working dream seems need to change to another country.

How about Canada? Does anyone know the Tax rate in Canada?

Regards,

Dennis
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
(a)I guess the company will not hire a guy using student visa or tourist visa right? So what kind of Visa do I need to apply?

(b)As a foreign engineer(Expat),if my anual income is 40000(Pounds),how about the Tax rate?

(c)How high the living expense?

a) I would assume that a working visa is required. Try www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk

b) On 40k, you fall into the higher tax braket (40%), so you would probably bank about 65% of 40K (about £2,200 per month) and you may also be liable for taxes at home!. There are ways to claim this tax back, involving not working full tax years.

c) Depends on where you live. If you are looking to work in central london. A flat could cost you from £200 per week (in a grotty area) to infinity. Beer is around £3 a pint. Travelling in London is expensive, a weekly zone 1 travelcard is about £20.
Norman Yeh
Thanks Steven,
(a)I guess the company will not hire a guy using student visa or tourist visa right? So what kind of Visa do I need to apply?

(b)As a foreign engineer(Expat),if my anual income is 40000(Pounds),how about the Tax rate?

(c)How high the living expense?

Regards,

Dennis
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
From an earlier reply

A) As far as I am aware, as long as you have a visa and can prove you are competent, nothing should disbar you from employment.

B) Generally, the most activity is, and will continue to be in the South east. Plenty guidelines on salaries from the adverts on the job page. Contract work is a bit thin on the ground at the moment, with most companies wanting "permies".

C)There are a number of good recruitment companies in the Uk. They act as an introduction to a prospective employer. Their "cut" varies but averages (about 10%). If you dont have the contacts they are a necessary (evil?).

D)I think most people prefer people who can do the job, regardless of sexual orientation (ooopps thats not what you asked?)

However, the Uk is an extremely expensive place to live and work. We had our summer about a week ago and its all downhill on the weather front now.

Not sure about your tax position, but I think you will find just about everything more expensive.

HTH