Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

The DIPP: Anyone have any idea why it is suddenly getting attention?

2 replies [Last post]
Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

The DIPP, or Devaux's Index of Project Performance, was first published in a 1992 article ("When the DIPP Dips: A P&L Index for Project Performance") in Project Management Journal. It was then re-published in 1999 in a PMI book Essentials of Project Control. It was also explored in depth in my books Total Project Control & Managing Projects as Investments.

The Wikipedia page for the DIPP was started in December 2016. For 29 months, it received about 50-100 hits per month. Then suddenly,, since May 24, the number of page views has shot up to almost 400 per month!

Needless to say, I am gratified! But I am also wondering why. The Wikipedia page for "critical path drag" has been averaging about 900 hits per month for years. But on one day, 11/9/2016, it received about 275 views! It turned out that on that day, Asta Powerproject launched a new version that computed critical path drag!

So I am wondering if anyone here knows of something that could have triggered the sudden interest in the DIPP?

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Replies

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Wow, James! I had no idea! That's great!

BTW, as some here may know, I've been going through some fairly serious cardiac issues for over a year -- that's a major reason that you haven't seen much of me! But I'm doing much better now and slowly re-emerging. If there is anything I can do for PlanningPlanet, please let me know. I believe you have my email address?

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

P.S. Go, England and the Bajan Jofra Archer in the Cricket World Cup Final! (Truthfully, I'd root for NZ, but they don't have a Bajan in the team!)

Hi Steve,

We have been pushing this isue and that wiki page in our last 4 newsletters to try to share the good news.

http://www.planningplanet.com/search/apachesolr_search/%22Critical%20path%20drag%22?filters=type%3Asimplenews

Hope this helps.

James