Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Project Control - Does it Include Technical

7 replies [Last post]
Jithin Kambhikanam
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 hours ago. Offline

Hello Everyone,

Just a doubt as some people refer Project Control as the Person who can manage Planning, Scheduleing, Cost, Claim and Technical parts of a Project.

I am in a doubt does a Project Control personnel should be Technically very knowlegable means just like a Engineering manager or the Senior Techhnical Engineer.

Does the Payscale of a Project Control Engineer always less than a Technical Enginerr (Civil, Electrical,Instrumentation,Mechanical Engineer).

Regards

Jithin

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 3 days 19 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

well said Patrick

Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 5 days 23 hours ago. Offline

Project controllers need to know enough to be able to ask the right questions and assess the reliability of information received from technical experts.  The role itself is defined as: "the data gathering, management and analytical processes used to predict, understand and constructively influence the time and cost outcomes of a project or program through the communication of information in formats that assist effective governance and management decision making".  for more on the functions see: https://mosaicprojects.com.au/WhitePapers/WP1093_Project_Controls.pdf

Zoltan Palffy

I could go on and on for example you are installing piles you need to know if your are going ot be driving them with a hammer or vibrating them or drilling them. The method will determing your duration, You also need to be able to read a soil borring log to be able to see the soil conditions to know how if there is any rock and if so how deep is it. You also need to know about excavation if your are digging a trench is the soil condition sucj that can you lay it back with a 2 to 1 slope or do you need to use trench boxes ? Also is there any dewatering that is required ?

Jithin Kambhikanam

Thanks Zoltan,

So got your point that a Project Control should have a basic understanding of Technical Stuff so as to decide the duration like the case you said "Type of Concrete".

Ya from Contract I would get the Scope of Work from which we would come to know what is Being Built, Where and What is the Site Condition and all that.

Regards

Jithin

Zoltan Palffy

you know need to know how to calculate the strength of concrete but what you do need to know is what type of concrete is being used this will deterime how fast the concrete cures which you have to include in your schedule so that you know when you can strip the forms or pull the shoring out. 

and yes you shoudl be able to read contract documents and be able to look a a drawing and decifer what is going to be built. If you dont then take a class in blue print reading. 

Jithin Kambhikanam

Hi Zoltan,

I do know that Project Control Includes all of the 3 Division i.e. Planning & Scheduling, Cost and Claim which I do handle.

But Technical I meant like the " Design, Calculating the Concret Strength, archeitecture etc...

I am from a Oil and Gas Sector amd If I say technical it would come to from dicipline like Process, Mechnaical, Piping, Electrical, Instrumentation,Civil etc and they prepare many technical deliverable/documents.

So when I mean Technically Knowledgeable means " The Project Control Engineer should know how to review those documents prepared by Dicipline Engineers" which are not related to Planning, Cost or Claim.

So should a Project Control Engineer be Technically Knowledgable too.

Regards

Jithin

Zoltan Palffy

yes just look at the TERM that you are talking about "Project Control" it not like a civil engineer whose sole focus is on civil design or construction it envolves ALL disciplies of the project hence the name "PROJECT" controls. Yes a project controls person should be part of either the Planning & Scheduling, Cost estimating or Cost control group. To be an effective Project Controls person it does not matter what group that you ar epart of but you should know a littel bit about the other 2 departments. You will also have to know the technical aspects of the project I dont see how you can do your job wthout knowing the technical aspects/

A Project Controls person should be technically knowlegable in the 3 displines that I previosuly mentioned. 

The pay scale of a Project Controls Engineer varies with experience and is NOT alwasy lower than a Technical Enginerr (Civil, Electrical,Instrumentation,Mechanical Engineer) in some cases it is higher.