Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

What is the DIPP? (Warning! Some wonky stuff)

No replies
Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

That’s the title of my new article, just up at my blog.

One of the readers of my blog posted a question in the Comments with respect to a metric I had mentioned in passing:

“DIPP tracking. What is it and where can I learn more about it?”

I had not previously discussed the DIPP in my blog. It is a metric introduced in my very first project management paper, “When the DIPP Dips: A P&L Index for Project Performance”. It was published in Project Management Journal in Sep 1992 and later reprinted as a chapter in the PMI book Essentials of Project Control. (This was back when I thought it might be the only thing I’d ever publish in PM, and DIPP stands for Devaux’s Index of Project Performance.)

In the PMJ article, the DIPP was suggested as a formula to be used when analyzing a project for possible termination. By the time I published my first book in 1999, I’d realized that it could be used as an index to track a project’s EMV (or ROI) against plan throughout execution: one number that would incorporate scope, schedule and cost data (and earned value). It would provide the sponsor/customer with the data he wants and the project team with a baseline to track against and to beat.

I have developed other techniques since, but the DIPP is still something of which I’m most proud (well, that and being asked once to introduce Sir Garfield Sobers at a cricket dinner!). It’s a little complex, but I give a thumbnail of it in the blog.

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan