Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

New blog on fragnet cost/benefit analysis: Teddy Roosevelt and the Panama Fragnet

2 replies [Last post]
Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

I just posted Blog #4: Teddy Roosevelt and the Panama Fragnet at the TotalProjectControl.com website. Just click on the Blog button to see all the blogs.

The Comments function is now working on the website. So if you have a comment on any of the blogs, the exercises or the site in general, I would be delighted if you would share it. And if you had comments about the three previous blogs, please feel free to write them now. (Of course, I will also be delighted to respond to Comments in this thread!)

Today’s blog emphasizes through a historical example that no discretionary dependency should ever be applied without analysis of the impact. This is especially true when it includes an optional fragnet. For the Panama Canal project in the early 20th century, that meant considering measures to suppress yellow fever. Was it worth it?

For more information about the Panama Canal project, I also recommend Damon Smith’s very informative site on project management history.

Blog #4 will be the first of two historical examples where the drag of the optional fragnet will have a drag cost that must be included in the cost/benefit analysis. If the value/cost of time (and fragnet drag) is not quantified, an incorrect decision may be made. This will be discussed in Blog #5: Project Management in History: Adolf Hitler and the Balkans Fragnet to be published on Monday, November 17th.

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Replies

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Hi, Shahul.

I loved your graphic comment! But suddenly it's disappeared and become just a number: 2304 or something like that. Such a disappointment.

But I want you to know that I get a big kick out of your grapphis.

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Shah. HB
User offline. Last seen 19 weeks 2 hours ago. Offline

excellent-good-fair-poor-checklist.jpg