Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

PDUs For Training Demystified

6 replies [Last post]
Emily Foster
User offline. Last seen 1 year 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

We get quite a few questions on PDUs so here's everything you need to know about PDUs http://ow.ly/DXPZk

Replies

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 18 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

Stanley, I think this charge is pretty unfair.

Most project management consultants are quite passionate about project management and want to spread word about useful concepts and techniques they have discovered. They often do so in white papers, articles, books, and blogs. And they all work for a living. Every writer of those papers and blogs is undoubtedly doing the work for an amalgam of both self-serving and altruistic reasons. Without both of these, there would be precious few articles and white papers anywhere on any subject, and no one would ever be crazy enough to engage in the kind of effort required to write a book!

I have acquired quite a few nuggets from the blogs on Emily's sites, and I dearsay others have both enjoyed and profited from the blogs on my own.

Writing blogs on my own site is comfortable and allows me to control the information better. Undoubtedly, my last two blogs, about the Panama Canal and Hitler's invasion of Russia, have spurred thousands of canal-builders and Russia invaders to contact me with offers of exorbitant consulting fees to advise them on their projects. But I also delude myself into thinking that others have simply enjoyed the articles and maybe learned a little something.

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

www.TotalProjectControl.com  (Note!)

Emily Foster

Hi Stanley,

I’m glad you like our blog and find it useful.

We are a US based business with a small office in the UK. Given the global profile of visitors to Planning Planet,  I’m pretty sure that we have no interest or capability in delivering our services to them.

As a reader of our blog, you probably have noticed that we do not promote our services at all in any article. To reiterate, it’s goal was simply to share experiences, tips, etc. with the community.

We have many independent contributors to our blog that send in tips, how to’s and other insights on our industry. We have not given them recognition so that their contribution supports the goals of the blog which is about sharing the content.

Finally, due to technical limitations of this forum, you cannot post many of our articles here, particularly the ones with screen shots. Maybe this will change in the future.

I hope this makes sense.

Best Regards

Emily   :-)

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 5 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

When Emily first started posting her topics I considered deleting them for being commercially motivated but I decided - on balance - to let them remain as they were a useful source of information.

No doubt someone will point out that I occasionally post threads to my own website - www.expertdelayanalysis.com when I have something to sell.

Mike Testro - Moderator.

Corporate Test User
User offline. Last seen 2 years 20 weeks ago. Offline

Hi All,

With respect, Emily's statement made me laugh....

"If our post was a commercial then I completely failed as there is no call to action among many other things............. I will add that the goal of our blog is to simply share information back with the community...nothing more. "

These posts (some I do find to be very useful) are wholly commercial.  If you were wanting to share information you should post the information on here and not push people to your consulting website, which I assume is a commercial enterprise?

Just my two pence worth.

Emily Foster

Hi Patrick,

If our post was a commercial then I completely failed as there is no call to action among many other things. I also would have put a far more popular course as the example (e.g. Primavera P6) instead of Advanced Earned Value Management. We do also reference many other R.E.Ps both nationally and globally as a source for earning PDUs. The blog post, like many of our posts was in response to the numerous customer questions we receive while on site. Specifically in this case, training and PDU's not necessarily all the different ways you can earn PDUs.

I will add that the goal of our blog is to simply share information back with the community...nothing more. We get hundreds of positive comments from experienced and new practitioners alike suggesting we keep up the good work.

That said, I must say that your post on PDUs is very comphrensive and impressive. It's an excellent job!

Best Regards

Emily

Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 5 days 6 hours ago. Offline

Emily's commercial on the link above is quite misleading and designed to generate income for her company.

If you hold a PMI certification and wish to earn sufficient PDUs to maintain its currency, any training undertaken from any source that is relevant to the certification accumulates 1 PDU per hour including many free webinars run by PMI and others. What you need is an outline of the training and some proof of attendance. For example a training course to up skill to Primavera 8 run by your local Primavera agent will accrue PDUs at the rate of 1 per hour and be relevant for both PMP and PMI-SP holders.

There are other options such as self-study and knowledge contributions but these are limited in the total PDUs - details are in the relevant credential handbook that is freely downloadable from the PMI website (look towards the back of the book).

PDUs are only relevant if you already hold a PMI credential.

Most PMI credentials also require you to have completed an approved number of hours of training before being eligible to sit for the examination. This training does not generate PDUs for the credential you are working towards (you do not hold it) but will generate PDUs for any other credential. For example a PMP holder who decides to sit for the PMI-SP will earn PDUs for the 30 or 40 hours of training needed to be eligible to apply for the PMI-SP exam.

Approved training means exactly that - the contents of the course has to be approved by PMI.  PMI approved R.E.P.s offering courses for a PMI credential have their courses assessed by PMI as part of the QA system and are pre-approved. You need full details of any other training ready to submit to PMI if the exam prep course is offered by another organisation. And in the exam-prep space self training does not count. The training has to be provided by an organisation.

So in summary, PDUs can be accrued from almost anywhere provided the training is useful to you. Exam prep courses need to be delivered by organisations that know what they are doing.

For more on PDUs see: http://www.mosaicprojects.com.au/Training_PDUs.html

For more on the PMI-SP see: http://www.mosaicprojects.com.au/Training-Planning.html

And yes we are one of many R.E.P.s world-wide and have been a R.E.P. for over 12 years.