Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Importance of Project Leadership

2 replies [Last post]
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Hi PP,

I was at an interesting meeting at the other day, and we had a phone call coming from site that the project was put on hold. After the initial inquiries, we understand that the representative of the Owner comes to site and they have reservations on the dust and safety barrier around the excavation, so 5 upper management from the subcontractor side with 5 from the Main Contractor and 2 from the Client rush to site to see what is wrong.

2 hour wasted x 12 = 24 hours of heavy weights wasted because the Owner Rep #1 said hold the work due to something that was proved to be incorrect.

The instructions were being followed to the letter, and considerable time was wasted in excercising common sense that the situation is safe and the remark and the instruction that follow was incorrect.

Has anyone gone through something similar. Any recommendations.

With kind regards,

Samer
PS the situation was solved with facts at site. But it took hours of negotiations.

Replies

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Mike,

Thank you for your kind comment. It is good to use it when the time is right. Negotiations are a continuous effort on the projects.

With kind regards,

Samer
Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 1 week 4 days ago. Offline
Hi Samer

I had a similar incident in Baghdad - I was involved as senior QS for the Japanese contractor building the Al Shaheed Monument.

One morning Saddam Hussein paid us a surprise visit in his helicopter - he jumped out and strode right across newly laid white terrazzo paving.

Apart from that his security guards closed the entire site for 8 hours.

The Japanese were very nervous about claiming compensation but I did put in a claim for lost production which was paid.

Part of the total was repair of the terrazzo and I submitted a daywork sheet for the Iraqi clerk of works to sign headed "Repair of damage caused by Presidential Incompetence" the poor man went white with fright and begged me to re write it. I did and he signed it.

In short you do have a valid claim for loss of production.

Best regards

Mike Testro