Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Timesheet databases

3 replies [Last post]
George Gray
User offline. Last seen 4 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Ladies & Gents

I am in the process of trying to source a timesheet system that can handle approx 5000 records per day in a quick and efficient manner. Does anyone have experience of such a system or can offer any suggestions.

My biggest problem is the number of daily entries which would be for construction site personnel, who would not have access to put their own individual times into the database. I have been looking at systems with barcodes and scanners etc. However would appreciate any assistance and advice.

Thanks and regards

George Gray

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 20 hours 21 min ago. Offline
Timesheets

If you plan to enter time for a Job Costing System this most probably should be integrated with your payroll, otherwise monumental data duplication might occur. A good job costing system is not limited to payroll and takes into account all costs, some of which are processed at the main office, such as major purchases, payment of invoices and so on. Your accounting system should be able to provide you with the data without duplication of effort. The site provides them with the raw data they return you the processed.

Biometric clocks will be of great help to prevent fraud but will not be able to tell you about the per hour distribution of cost codes accounts. Recognize their limits but if available, use them.

The sample above is from a particular accounting vendor, you must search for solutions that best suits your accounting and financial systems.

The following paper summarizes how we at home manage Job Costing as an integral part of our accounting system. It tracks time and costs using accepted accounting standards, is auditable. Hope it can be of help.

http://rapidshare.com/files/269181396/Job_Costing_for_Construction.pdf

Job costing for labor only does not make much sense as emphasis on labor at the expense of equipment and material costs can backfire on your total costs.

Best regards,
Rafael
Matthew Edwards
User offline. Last seen 1 year 51 weeks ago. Offline
Hi George

Asta Site Controlmay be a possibility :

http://www.astadev.com/software/sitecontrol/index.asp

Regards

Matthew Edwards
George Gray
User offline. Last seen 4 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Rafael and Matthew

Thank you both for your speedy response and I will have a good look at the information that you have provided. I will keep you updated with progress.

Thanks again and regards

George