Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

PMO Creation

7 replies [Last post]
Douglas Young
User offline. Last seen 14 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
There seems to be many jobs asking for creation of PMO’s. Obviously I’ve worked in PMOs for a long time in many different environments, however, if I was asked to build A pmo from scratch, I’m not that sure where I would begin - anyone want to comment I would very much appreciate it - keep it clean though.

Replies

PM Hut
User offline. Last seen 14 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Usually a PMO means "Project Management Office", but can also mean "Program Management Office".

I’ve published so many articles on the creation of a PMO, this one that is quite concise and technical: Steps for Starting a PMO.

If you want something more comprehensive and detailed, please check this series on Building Your PMO (ignore the first entry titled Project Management Series).

I hope this post was helpful to whoever is considering initiating a PMO in his or her organization.
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 9 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
fair enough

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Bard,

The PMI has a standard for Program Management. The latest edition was published in 2009. It can be in any industry.

www.pmi.org

With kind regards,

Samer
Brad Lord
User offline. Last seen 9 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
PMO means Programme Management Office

It is a term used in IT/Banking world. Basically same as Project Office in the real world.

Shanmugam Thangam...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
For PMO set up we need apply or mapping of project management process into the system. For that you need write each process / procedure/ forms to follow the project managemant process. You need write each procedures /responsibily/ what to perform/ who to perform, etc.
For Example Project Control
Time Planning
Procedures to prepare / analyse the programme
Responsiblity / Duty of Project Control manager, Planning manager, Planning Engieer, Cost Controler, etc
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Douglas,

I would recommend that you contact:

www.pmousa.com/courses/index.cfm?CourseID
www.allpmo.com

and get the material and if you are interested, you can get certified as well.

PMO: Project Management Office

Basically, you need to have all the documentation and resources to support your projects and make the deliverables on time.

With kind regards,

Samer

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Hi Douglas

What is a PMO?

Best regards

Mike Testro