Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Integration of Resource Planning and Progress

8 replies [Last post]
Aryan Yap
User offline. Last seen 14 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

What do you mean by the "Integration of Resource Planning and Progress"?

What are the activities to be included and how it is being prepared?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you and Regards,

Aryan

Replies

Aryan Yap
Hi Samer,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Best Regards,

Aryan
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Aryan,

The best thing is to start from the basics and build your knowledge up.

We already defined the "Resources". You can start with the BOQ items in an excell spread sheet in one column and have the resources in the other columns. Now you have a resource matrix. Of course, you can have separate sheets for manpower, material, equipment, etc.

Integration must ensure that the complete products are delivered. So now you have to identify the TIME that is required to use each resource.

You can use the information to load your Program of Works.

With kind regards,

Samer

Aryan Yap
Dear Samer,

Thank you for the wonderful advised. Yes, I am working with the Contractor’s side and our Client is QP.

I had mentioned the No. 2 & 3 ("Resource Planning" and Integration of Resource Planning and Progress) can you give me some brilliant ideas which I have but I have uncertainties. Can you please tell me what are the difference?

Thank you and Regards,

Aryan

Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Aryan,

It seems that you are working on a good size project. Usually this is part of the management system from the Contractor’s side. I assume that you are working at that site. I am not sure about the setup in your company and how the information is processed.

The Consultant seems to be asking for a systematic approach to managing the project.

The Project Procurement Process is discussed in a separate Chapter. You will need to contact your procurement department and understand how they manage their process.
Bascially, you will need to purchase the raw material required to complete the deliverables in the BOQ. So someone within your company has to come up with all the quantities required to complete the project.

This is basically the list of Material. This list must be submitted for approval. Once you have the shop drawings approved, you can calculate the quantities required. Then once you have approval, you can coordinate the ordering of the material and delivery to site. Some of the material is Long Lead. That means it require between 6-12 months to arrive at site. You must determine the time you need them at site at the early stages of the project. Other material like concrete must be ordered on a daily basis.

I hope that this explanation helped. Please read the PMBOK procurement process if you need to submit the plan to you client. You can custom tailer the charts according to the actual need of the project and the process adopted by the company.

With kind regards,

Samer
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
it refers to productivity rates, or if your budgeted resources will meet the targeted progress, if not, then you’ll need to level your resources
Aryan Yap
Dear Samer,

The Client request to submit the following:

1. Project Execution Programme
2. Resource Planning and Mobilization
3. Integration of Resource Planning and Progress
4. Procurement Plan Procedure
5. Planning and Scheduling Procedure
6. Progress Measurement Procedure
7. Progress Control and Reporting Procedure

I have an idea regarding no. 1, 2, 5, 6 & 7 above. What I don’t know is the no. 3 & 4.

As far as I know no. 2 & 3 above are almost the same. Correct me if I am wrong.

I have an idea about PMBOK and this is my reference in preparing my programme.

If you don’t mind, can you please elaborate bit in detail.

Thank you and Regards,

Aryan
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Aryan,

The Program of works is developed in the following way as per the PMBOK:

1. Activity Definition
2. Activity Sequencing
3. Activity Resource Estimating
4. Activity Duration Estimating
5. Schedule Development.

The Definition of "Resource" as per PMBOK: "Skilled human resources (specific disciplines either individually or in crews or teams), equipment, services, supplies, commodities, material, budgets, or funds."

I hope that the above provide some answers for you.

With Kind Regards,

Samer
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Aryan,

You have to logically define your activities so that you can properly assign your corresponding resources and from there shall evolve the integration of progress!

hope this helps