Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Earned Schedule

14 replies [Last post]
Duy Huynh
User offline. Last seen 14 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi, there have been discussion about Earned Schedule. Did anyone apply this into your project? Is it useful to research on?

Replies

Shailesh Sonar
User offline. Last seen 7 years 38 weeks ago. Offline

dear all,

i have make one of the great Graph for Earn Value 

eva_sks.jpg

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Unfortunately, while Earned Schedule is no worse than other EV scheduling metrics (Schedule Variance and SPI), it does nothing to fix the underlying flaw in all such scheduling metrics: no recognition of the critical paths (both planned and actual).  The result is that all these metrics are often distorted by float (both accidentally and deliberately!) and not only give a false picture but actually encourage out-of-sequence work, simply to enhance the performance to the metrics.

The solution is simple, but almost no one does it.

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan

Nader K. Rad
User offline. Last seen 3 years 45 weeks ago. Offline

I’ve used Earned Schedule in all of my projects since I learned it, I love it so much that I can’t imagine working without it, and my clients are also happy with the results.

Regards

- Nader Khorrami Rad, PMP

m r
User offline. Last seen 12 years 5 weeks ago. Offline

ES is not a requirement on Fed projects at this time. When I took an EV course a couple of years ago, the instructor was quite familiar with the shortcomings of EV indicators but he wasn't going to bring it up until I pushed him on it.

I started using ES in 2006, shortly after it was developed. The indicators were far more useful than EV and had a much more fruitful impact in highlighting contractor performance to Management. I applied the methodology on two large developments overseas with American prime contractors and local labor forces.

The book you want to read is Earned Schedule by Walt Lipke (available on Amazon). The website, http://www.earnedschedule.com/, has numerous papers and presentations that can bring you up to spead in a short time. Mr. Lipke advised me on my first implementation.

I won't manage a project without using ES.

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Darren,

The reason I mentioned it is that I took a course recently and the instructor emphasised that it is part of the Feds requirements. I have not worked a project that required it yet. I will keep you posted if I do so in the future.

With kind regards,

Samer
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Darren,

The reason I mentioned it is that I took a course recently and the instructor emphasised that it is part of the Feds requirements. I have not worked a project that required it yet. I will keep you posted if I do so in the future.

With kind regards,

Samer
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Darren,

With kind regards,

Samer
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Darren,

With kind regards,

Samer
Darren Kosa
User offline. Last seen 7 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Samer,

Thanks for the link, I’m familiar with DFARS as we operate an ANSI/EIA-748 compliant Earned Value Management System, but I didn’t think there was specific reference to Earned Schedule which was why your post caught my eye.

After skimming through the FAQs and Q&A, I still don’t see indication that the DoD requires further commitment to extended EVM theory beyond the 32 statements I’m already accustomed to.

Regards,

Darren
Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 2 hours ago. Offline
Seems like Earned Schedule is an extension to Earned Value but not necessarily required when Earned Value is.

Make a Google search for Earned Schedule, you will find enough to drive you crazy.

WITWHEA = Well I thought we had enough acronyms.

BRR =
Best regards,
Rafael
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Darren,

A quick internet search will yield the following result.

Q&As Regarding the New EVM Policy from RDT Sessions:
The DoD EVM policy requires contractor management systems compliant with the ... a contractor proposes to use its EVMS to manage a DoD contract to which EVM is ...

www.acq.osd.mil/pm/faqs/faq.htm

With kind regards,

Samer
Darren Kosa
User offline. Last seen 7 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Duy,

Sorry to thread-jack, but a quick question for Samer regarding Earned Schedule and Post #2 in this thread.

I know Earned Value has been a requirement for Federal contracts in the US for some time, but I didn’t realise Earned Schedule was. When did this requirement come about? Is it recent?

Regards,

Darren
Safak Vural
User offline. Last seen 3 years 44 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Huyn,

There are many topics about earned schedule and EVA in this forum. You can check "Planning, Scheduling & Programming Discussion" and "P3-P6" categories.

Regards,

Safak
Samer Zawaydeh
Dear Duy,

This is a standard requirement for Federally Funded projects in the USA.

With kind regards,

Samer