Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Manpower

3 replies [Last post]
salah obaidi
User offline. Last seen 13 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Heloo Friends Long time I havent seeen you.
Please I have qustetion regarding to the manpower sufficieny..If you have project 6 month time, how can I estimate the adequate number of manpwer to finish project on time.?

Your early reply it will help much.
Thank you

Replies

smiling shagger
User offline. Last seen 15 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
namaste!
normally Sir, i do like this
say,
project milestone=6 months
say mobilisation =2 weeks
testing+clearance i.e project close-out= 1 momth
so, peak resource utilisation = 4.5 months

extract
fr construction drwgs= MTO or quantities
which reflects each trade
fr productivity rate (maybe from previous job/location)

at the same time
construct the cpm schedule
construct a planning sheet (which a tabulation manner consist of activities /method /ways that we planned to construct the project at site + quantity + productivity rate (reasonable productivity rate for each volume per day or per hour) + resources (manpower/machineries/gangs or team) + planned duration (resonable duration to complete the task/activity). these i normally seat down with various site team/discipline who have vast site experience, just to came up with more realistic reasonable duration.

then
i put in all the above resources/duration in cpm schedule, placed targeted completion date and run the schedule.
normally, it would gives many positve float or many negative floats, in such cases, the adjustment have to be made in duration and resources. once we get the complete cpm, then we construct whatever client want - s curve, resource histogram/loading, driving loading/material graph.

The above process normally take 1 week or less also depends on team exposure n experience and teamwork.

Hornylly,
smilingshagger

Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Salah,
Once you have finished the activity list, the best thing is to site down with the Project Team (Engineer, Managers, Foremen) and discuss the activities and how much manpower they have and how much time they have to complete each activity. It is totally dependent on the project you have. Also, you can take notes of previously completed similar projects.

Best Regards,

Samer
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
yes Salah, it’s been a long time, I supposed you’re using P3, or is it P6 now?

you need to apply quantity surveying on this, for example: if you are dealing with steel works or structural steel fabrication, you need to calculate the total tonnage; number of joints (welded); fitting works; etc. then you can calculate your crew and relate it to your timeframe

regards