Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Project Charter

8 replies [Last post]
PM Hut
User offline. Last seen 14 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Here are 2 articles on the Project Charter.

The Project Charter is usually a document that gives the go ahead for the project.

The articles discuss best practices on writing a Project Charter.

Replies

Megan wale
User offline. Last seen 6 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

Hi There,

Great discussion is going on above. Even I would like to contribute here by introducing Techno-PM which is great resource for project managers. and also written article on Project charter smartly and offer simple template http://www.techno-pm.com/2017/05/project-charter-template-ppt.html

Thanks,

Nick Nikolaev
User offline. Last seen 8 years 16 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

Thanks for the articles!  

If you are interested in more Project Charter templates and Samples, check out this Charter Toolkit: http://project-charter-template.casual.pm/

There are gathered free charter templates and samples with tutorial videos

Best,
Nick 

Nick Nikolaev
User offline. Last seen 8 years 16 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

Thanks for the articles!  

If you are interested in more Project Charter templates and Samples, check out this Charter Toolkit: http://project-charter-template.casual.pm/

There are gathered free charter templates and samples with tutorial videos

Best,
Nick 

PM Hut
Hi Chris,

The nice thing about Archibald’s article is that it classifies failures (and their priorities) according to the maturity level of the project. I agree about that the Casey article is more comprehensive (this article was actually featured on ZD blog: http://blogs.zdnet.com/projectfailures/?p=885 ).

Here’s another article that is more or less of a listing of failures: Most IT Projects Fail, Will Yours?. Again, it focuses on IT Projects, but I think it can be applied across the board.
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi PM Hut,

You have no idea what an idiot I feel calling you that. Rather than comment on particular articles if I could cite the two you pointed people towards in the Why Project Fail?????? thread.

The article by Russell Archibald isn’t really an article, it’s a synopsis of the findings of a survey, on why projects fail, with no further information about how to improve matters. This isn’t a great deal of help as all it allows people to do is basically say "look at that, the reason our project failed is one of the ten commonest reasons! Now what do we do to stop it happening again?"

The Thomas K Casey article, however, gives you what he found to be the commonest causes of failure and some ideas of what can be done to prevent them. Also the way in which the Casey article is written is more readable. It deals with what can go wrong and how to prevent it, whereas the Russell article is really no more than a table of statistics.

I hope this is useful.

Chris Oggham

PM Hut
Hi Ravi, Chris,

I truly appreciate your feedback and thanks for the good words about PM Hut. I will work on the issues you have raised. Meanwhile, if you feel that an article is lacking information because it’s too short then feel free to comment on the article itself and I will try to enhance it in conjunction with the respective author.

Thanks again!
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Ravi,

I completely agree with you. The articles are OK as far as they go, but they are too short to contain much useful information. With some articles, if the author spent as much time telling us about the subject of the article as they do telling us about themselves a lot more information would be available.

Chris Oggham
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

Thanx for the post. U hav compiled lot of articles in ur website, but these articles are too short. Most of d artciles r based on PMP books/exmas. Will u plz elaborate on these articles. Even PMBOK coevrs in detail abt most of the articles as compared to artcuiles on PM HUT website.

Just a suggestion, but thnx a ton for compiling such a gr8 information.

Cheers,

Ravi