Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Forecasting methods studies in Earned Value Analysis

6 replies [Last post]
ersin namli
User offline. Last seen 11 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi, I’m studing Earned Value Management in my doctorate thesis actually cost estimation methods in Earned Value Management. Do you know any studies about Cost or Schedule Estimation methods except simple CPI and SPI calculation methods. I’m waiting your advises about what can i do.

Replies

ersin namli
User offline. Last seen 11 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
First thanks for your interests. Softwares that we use for Earned value Analysis use basic math and basic formulas for estimation. It’s easy to see current estimtion methods are unreliable and useless. Ofcourse I know what is Eaned Value and what Earned Value is not. I was waiting different ideas but anyway thanks again
I’ll inform you about progress.
Oliver Melling
User offline. Last seen 4 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: The GrapeVine
EVM is definately a topic that you could cover in a doctorate thesis.

For instance, the application and suitability of its use in different industries is one area that could be explored, as is the testing of its limitations and possible areas for improvement, such as introducing ’earned schedule’ methodology.

However, the fact that someone is doing a doctorate on EV and doesn’t know about things such as EAC and TCPI is suspect.

’Isnt it still a guess multiplied by a guess ?’

Even quantum physics and the theory of relativity are guesses based upon guesses.
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
I find it incredible that someone claiming to be

"studing Earned Value Management in my doctorate thesis ", should be asking such a basic question.

Further, since when did EV become such a science that it necessitates a doctorate thesis?.

Isnt it still a guess multiplied by a guess ?
A D
User offline. Last seen 3 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
On PMI’s website (www.pmi.org) book on earned value analysis is available.

This is one of the best book I have ever read on earned value analysis. But, you need to purchase the same.

It covers basic elements, EVm performance Analysis and Forecasting, gives guidance for use of key EVM practices.

Cheers,

Raviraj A Bhedase
Karim Mounir
User offline. Last seen 9 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Hi ersin,

Take a look at this file:
http://www.planningengineers.org/publications/papers_download.aspx?id=8

Regards,
Karim
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Here are some others to get you started

I’m quite sure there will be heaps more offered soon

EV Formula
Schedule Variance Dollarised, SV$ = BCWP - BCWS
Schedule Variance Percent, SV% = SV$/BCW S* 100%

Cost Variance Dollarised, CV$ = BCWP – ACWP
Cost Variance Percent, CV% = CV$/BCWP * 100%

Percent Complete, %C = BCWP/BAC * 100

Schedule Performance Index, SPI = BCWP/BCWS
Cost Performance Index, CPI = BCWP/ACWP
To Complete Perf Index, TCPI = (BAC-BCWP) / (EAC-ACWP)

Estimate at Complete EAC = ACWP + ETC