Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

new house building

5 replies [Last post]
martin healy
User offline. Last seen 16 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
HI all newbie here ,
just stumbled upon what looks like an alladins cave of building infirmation.
Just a brief intro about myself, 24 years in construction mainly housing and I am progressing from being a joiner to being the director of my own joinery subcontract business within the house building industry. Have been a site foreman and site manager but frustrated with the lack of quality which is produced I have decided to form my own company.

I have put out intro letters to housebuilders in scotland ,
IE Bellway, Bryant, Redrow ,Gregor Shore , Barratt looking to price for new developments,

What i’m looking for is info on how a QS working within the house building industry thinks plus loads of other questions like contract types ,costing the job ,etc etc

I can’t thank your collective knowledge enough and look forward to many good discussions on this subject.

thanks martin.

Replies

martin healy
thanks for your replies ,Chris and Anoon I will keep searching for info on the web , and I’m sorry Anoon if you thought I was being dismissive of your comments, I just did not know how to take them .

Meanwhile if any Qs out there has useful info they want to part with concerning my post feel free to reply.

thanks again

martin.
Chris Oggham
User offline. Last seen 9 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Martin,

If I’ve read your post correctly, much of the advice you have asked about isn’t directly related to planning. Your own experience as a site foreman and a site manager should have given you some grounding in the things you are asking about. Could I suggest that you search the web for the specific information you require, bookmark the sites that are useful to you and tie in with the information you already have.

Sorry I can’t give you anything more specific, but my experience with house construction is very small.

Chris Oggham
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
i’m working on the commercial side, do you think it’s not useful?
martin healy
anybody out there with useful info ?
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
martin wrote: " Have been a site foreman and site manager but frustrated with the lack of quality which is produced, I have decided to form my own company"

Here’s a businessman, a gambler and a lawyer!