Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Resource Management

14 replies [Last post]
Andy McLean-Reid
User offline. Last seen 18 years 10 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None
Does anybody have any suggestions about decent resource management software?

I have a number of chaps, working in multiple locations on multiple projects at any given time.

One of my PM’s uses a white board and a grid to try and keep track. Another has a spreadsheet system, which is quite effective. It’s all a bit messy.

I’d like something that will be able to allocate tasks against a resource in a different way to say MSProject. It would be good if I could get some curves and profiles out of it as well as maybe including manhours/costs. Something more elegant than maintaining a list in a spreadsheet and manipulating data.

If I find something good I may roll it out company wide and utilise it as part of the Project Controls portfolio.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Andy

Replies

Hi Susanna,

I did not look at the list.

Most pakages that are really good are here on planningplanet.com.

If you will explain what is your industry and what are your specific requirements the list may become shorter.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 hour 31 min ago. Offline

Reviving old discussions is not a good idea, to some of us it is not welcomed, many lose track of the discussion timeline and their postings make no sense.

Susanna Kate
User offline. Last seen 4 years 3 weeks ago. Offline

Vladimir Liberzon have you visited any of the resources from the list? They do not work because they do not exist :)))) Most of the websites are down / something else / parked domains.

I have decided to go with a simple Gantt chart for now. Need to start somewhere!

If anyone can share Gantt charts they are using I would really appreciate some real-life examples!

Edit: downloaded free gant chart from this website, all good now, thank you all.

Susanna Kate

Vladimir Liberzon have you visited any of the resources from the list? They do not work because they do not exist :)))) Most of the websites are down / something else / parked domains.

I have decided to go with a simple Gantt chart for now. Need to start somewhere!

If anyone can share Gantt charts they are using I would really appreciate some real-life examples!

Susanna Kate

Hey Andy,

I meant resources from Manjeet Singh message. Seemed like it used to be a good list of open-source/free project management tools.

I was looking for a free project mangement tool. MSProject is too much of a learning curve for me.

You mentioned that your PM used a spreadsheet system - any chance you still have that one? I actually think I don't need any software, and spreadhseet would be good enough for my needs.

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 1 day ago. Offline

P6 use global resources

Hi Susanna,

why did you decide that none of this works?

Please explain your expectations. I am sure that at least Spider Project meets them, and maybe other tools. Depends on your requirements.

Susanna Kate

Eh.. too bad none of these works. But hey, what did I expect, it has been 10 years... :/

Mehdi Rashidi Ala...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Resource management?
Can you explain about Resource breakdown structure?
Andy McLean-Reid
Cheers Manjeet :-)
Manjeet Singh
User offline. Last seen 18 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Andy,

I’ve never used anything like inate so I can’t be of much help here.

However, here are some links to project management software reviews & lists that might be of help:

List of Open and Free Project Management Tools:
http://proj.chbs.dk

List of over 214 project management software products with reviews:
http://www.infogoal.com/category.php?n=118&page=1&sort=&direction=

List of 287 project management software products:
http://www.project-management-software.org/project/

Side-by-side comparison of 10 project management software products:
http://project-management-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

Thirteen reviews of project management, bug tracking & customer software products:
http://www.project-management-software.org/reviews.asp

HTH
Manjeet
Author of www.projectminds.com -- free project management guide & other project-related resources
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 2 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Andy,

Have you try Primavera P3 ver 3.1?

Why not try Primavera P3 ver 3.1 or Spider.

If you got stuck up on how to use this software in Resource Management, you can always ask guidance in PP.

cheers

Charlie
Andy,
specify your needs. There are many software packages that include resource management, like Primavera, Open Plan, Spider Project, etc. If you will specify your needs then potential options can be discussed. If you used MS Project and are not satisfied with its features then you can explain your expectations. All PM packages include resource management but their capabilities are different.
Regards,
Vladimir
Andy McLean-Reid
Thanks for your replies gents.

I am not talking about a scheduling tool but purely a resource management one. I don’t have any problems with my schedule, nor the resource loading in that.

I think I was more interested in something like:

http://www.innate.co.uk/document.html

One of the problems is that my organisation is moving towards a matrix management set up. Single project based work is yielding to a more functional based strusture, meaning that many people are working across many projects.

In order to track that, I could use spread sheets, but I was curious to see if there was anything more elegant that others had implemented.

I think the main difference to a gantt chart would be allocating staff to projects rather than allocating activities to staff. The outputs would need to be based around the resource and show over allocation or prospective bottle-necks.

These projects cut across various industries (Oil & Gas, Rail, Telecomms) and are often field based the world over. I would need to be able to allocate staff based upon skill set as well as availability and location. It’s no use assigning a resource on a Wednesday to someone who is in Qatar on Monday and Thursday and I need him in London.

I realise that through coding and resources I could replicate alot of the required outputs in P3. It is simply that it is too cumbersome and limits interaction with the other team members. What I like about the link here is that it is web based and can interact with MSP. Team members are involved in populating and progressing it. Team Managers can own responsibility for it’s outputs - from tables to histograms.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear in my original post, I subequently found the site above, has anybody used anything like this Innate before?