Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Expanding WBS Level by Adding Activities in an Already in Progress Schedule P6

1 reply [Last post]
Mark Smith
User offline. Last seen 10 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi all,

I have run into an issue that requires some expert advice and would be extremely greatful for being pointed in the right direction.

Basically, my job has evolved from progressing a level 3 baseline schedule for the client to expanding details of certain activities to expand our schedule to a level 5. Here's an overview of what I'm dealing with.... 

1. The schedule has been built by estimators using internal phase codes that are translated right into P6 as Activity IDs and there are very few if any activities that deviate from that set system.

2. There are over 4,000 activities and there are nearly 11,000 relationships.

3. The dates are largely driven by owner furnished equipment delivery dates provided them and these are set as milestones. Essentially, the idea is to show that our dates are being pushed out by the owner's equipment showing up late.

So here's the example of my question. My boss wants the activity details:

40001     DELIVERY PM-1020 (Set as a milestone that drives all subsequent piping installation)
40001A   SET PM-1020  (This activity is loaded with the manhours directly set by the estimating department and the   duration is set by these owners on a 60 Hour work week.)

To become:

40001      DELIVERY PM-1020
40001A     SET PM-1020
40001AA   Draft and Submit Critical Lift Plan to Client
40001BB   Client Acceptance of Life Plan
40001CC   Moblize Crane and Set Vessel and Secure
40001DD  Platforms and Trim
40001EE  Insulation
ETC............

So how do I add all of those activities and leave the original dates, durations, resources, relationships, etc. entact as possible without just starting over which is impossible in an in progress schedule, at least for me.... I suppose what he wants is the 40001AA-40001EE activities to drive the progress of the single 40001A activity if that makes any sense?

It almost feels like playing the old game Operation... I can't really move anything around without messing lots of stuff up. I just need to expand what's already there without affecting what's all tied together too much.

I would greatly appreciate any and all help I could recieve.

Kindest Regards,
Mark

Replies

rizwan khan
User offline. Last seen 14 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear mark,

Try to make activity  40001A     SET PM-1020 as levle of effort in activity type & link this with  remaning activity which u want to expand such as

40001AA   Draft and Submit Critical Lift Plan to Client

40001BB   Client Acceptance of Life Plan
40001CC   Moblize Crane and Set Vessel and Secure
40001DD  Platforms and Trim
40001EE  Insulation
ETC............

make relation SS predesesor and FF in succesor