Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Changing Work Week in P6 Optional Client

5 replies [Last post]
Ed Boyle
User offline. Last seen 8 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I am currently planning for a project which is running a Saturday to Friday workweek. Can somebody tell me if I can change the work week for this individaul project.

I have been told any changes to the work week by admin will effect all projects under that Admin.

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 18 hours 21 min ago. Offline

If your software do not provides for truncation you can still try user defined periods a functionality I suspect it should have.

The following figure display diagram reports for costs on a biweekly period starting on Wednesday and then on a weekly period also starting on Wednesday. Vertical lines run from Monday 00:00 H to Sunday 24:00 H.

Photobucket

Look for user defined periods, they do not necesarily deppend on day of week, might be 4 days if you work on 4 days shifts.

Best regards,

Rafael

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 31 weeks 5 hours ago. Offline

You can assign a Customized calendars in every Individual Projects.

Work week could be changed either Friday or Sunday is the Weekend.

Create a Project Calendar for every Project.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 18 hours 21 min ago. Offline

I suppose your interest in changing work week start/finish day from actual settings to start on Saturday and to finish on Friday is for reporting purposes.

I wonder if you have something like project truncation reports?

In Spider Project truncation is one of the report forms executed for a certain period and presented in a separate project form. In project truncation, project data and representations are all displayed, also data under charges of cost components and materials, duration, volume, and also cost and materials calculation for the set time period are automatically executed. In the Activity Gantt activities which have been only planned or executed during this period will be presented.

With the use of such functionality you can report on the costs and resource usage that occurred within a particular period and all prior or posterior allocations will be excluded of the report.

It is not only about a need to follow and report on your particular work week but also for monthly reporting as it might be that start and or end of month do not matches your start and or end of week.

A functionality that do not depends on setting financial periods as you might need to report on different periods that do not match on their end/start dates. Not only applies to weekly and monthly but also to quarterly and yearly reports. Single financial periods is not enough.

If your data entry matches your reporting periods the distribution will be mathematically exact, if not the distribution will be assumed linear. Therefore the shorter the data entry periods the better. It is not unusual to enter labor [time cards] and material costs on a weekly basis while schedule performance data on a monthly basis.

Ed Boyle
User offline. Last seen 8 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Cheers Dave.

David Kelly
User offline. Last seen 1 year 37 weeks ago. Offline

You have been advised correctly.  There is only ione setting for "week begins" for the whole database.  All "Weekly" spreads and aggregations calculate from this day of the week, NOT the data date.